Is this an infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All.Hopped.Up

Reaction score
I just popped the lid on my fermenter to bottle my Hefeweizen and was greeted by this interesting site. This is my first partial and I am not sure if that is what has lead to these floaties.
I have been taking gravity readings the last few days and it tasted great, is it ok?

All.Hopped.Up said:
I just popped the lid on my fermenter to bottle my Hefeweizen and was greeted by this interesting site. This is my first partial and I am not sure if that is what has lead to these floaties.
I have been taking gravity readings the last few days and it tasted great, is it ok?
If it tastes ok then it is more than likely going to be fine.

It would help if the pic loaded!

hefeweizen.gif

Looks fairly standard to me. Just a bit of residual krausen.

Yep, looks okay to me too.

But, uh, how many samples have you taken, exactly?

Get it in the bottle already! I find my hefe's reach final gravity in 5 days tops. If your gravity is stable, just get 'er done.

carniebrew said:
Get it in the bottle already! I find my hefe's reach final gravity in 5 days tops. If your gravity is stable, just get 'er done.
I have been trying to restrain myself from bottling early as it smells and tastes great!

Mate...you will need to bottle that brew and send them to me for QA....

bum said:
Yep, looks okay to me too.

But, uh, how many samples have you taken, exactly?

All.Hopped.Up said:
4. It has been in the primary 19 days.
How big are your samples, from the pic it looks like a few litres have gone when you look at the original krausen line.

bradsbrew said:
How big are your samples, from the pic it looks like a few litres have gone when you look at the original krausen line.
I often "sample" in 750ml PET bottles, Brad :p

bradsbrew said:
I generally try to fill the bottom of the bathtub, so I can have a little splash around in it. :p

I had already started racking the beer to my bottling bucket when I cracked the lid and took the photo.

All.Hopped.Up said:
I generally try to fill the bottom of the bathtub, so I can have a little splash around in it. :p

I had already started racking the beer to my bottling bucket when I cracked the lid and took the photo.
Although it's fine, try and not breathe on it or make a habit of taking lids off. Transferring with both lids on is a good idea too (through both taps, one fermenter higher than the other) so that your exposure is limited. You can either put a spoon with Starsan gel on your primary airlock grommet to minimise drawing in air, or if you're fancy you can sterlilise a 3/8" hose and connect both airlock grommets together. Now that's paranoid. Must be my gas pipeline purging experience kicking in.

Adr_0 said:
Although it's fine, try and not breathe on it or make a habit of taking lids off. Transferring with both lids on is a good idea too (through both taps, one fermenter higher than the other) so that your exposure is limited. You can either put a spoon with Starsan gel on your primary airlock grommet to minimise drawing in air, or if you're fancy you can sterlilise a 3/8" hose and connect both airlock grommets together. Now that's paranoid. Must be my gas pipeline purging experience kicking in.
I have been removing the airlock and cracking the lid (sitting it on top) and then racking it through a length of sterilised food grade hose to swirl the priming sugar through the beer as it fills.
Obviously, I try to avoid breathing on it or exposing it to any nastys.
Is oxygen really an issue at this point as surely it would already be getting a big dose during bottling anyway, no?

Back