Is my wheat beer infected?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradobk

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm wondering if I can get some advise / reassurance from those in the know on this forum. I put a wheat beer in the fermenter last week and it's been in there for 10 days now, used a kit from the HBS which was intended to create a hoegarden clone and lallemand Munich wheat beer yeast which I re hydrated according to the packet. The brew frothed up on top fairly quickly as it fermented. however now there is still a layer of thick froth on top and the SG is come down to 1012. OG was 1040 Is this likely to be the "Yeast cake" and normal, or is it possible that it's infected?
Cheers - Brad

That is generally how wheat beers go.

As per manticle above, the taste will let you know if it is off.

Cheers for the reassurance, it tastes OK, well not terrible anyway. I guess the proof will be after it's bottled and conditioned for a few weeks.

- Brad

Taste out of the fermenter gives you an indication of what it is going to be like, but is a far cry from the finished product. Bottle it, and if it turns out to be an infection then all you've lost is a batch of beer the hour you spent bottling. If it turns out to be a good'n then it will have been time well spent.

Latest posts

Back