Is My Lager Infected

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
Three weeks ago I put down a Dutch Lager with saflager 34/70. Final gravity should be around 1012. Fermenting in my temp cabinet at 12.c. Racked to secondary last Sunday and SG was 1014. Minor activity in airlock after transfer. Yesterday noticed small islands of white coloured foam on top of wort. Today they are the size of small finger nail. Checked the SG and it is still 1014. When I took the sample the islands dissapated. Beer does not taste off (a little 'spikey') but seems different to when I racked. Could be I'm paranoid. Would appreciate your views on whether it could be contaminated.

Hogan.

Hogan.

Chuck it down the sink. You've stuffed it completely. :(

Just messin' with ya. :lol:

Just sounds like a bit of post-krausen foam I think. Should be fine. As a rule though try and minimize the amount of the times you remove the fermenter lid for a "paranoid peek". ;)

Enjoy the beer when it's ready. :)

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Just sounds like a bit of post-krausen foam I think. Should be fine. As a rule though try and minimize the amount of the times you remove the fermenter lid for a "paranoid peek". ;)

Warren -
[post="86259"][/post]​

Thanks Warren - that eases my mind. I have learnt not to take the lid off and can see the wort through the lid and try to keep hygeine to a max. Hate to think that after all I have been through already to get this first lager going that it would go arse up on me half way through. It's like having a bloody baby - not counting the pushing part that is.

Regards, Hogan.

no i reakon it stuffed mate keg it up a send it to me for a proper biohazard disposal.

LoL
delboy

Latest posts

Back