Is it worth getting an out of date bottle hydrostatically tested?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, was out for a ride this arvo and passed an old shopfront that had a ton of crap out the front in hard rubbish and in amongst the rolls of old carpet and dozens of 20L plastic drums was a Supagas 10kg co2 cylinder.

It's empty and 2 years past it's 10 year testing date and what I'm wondering is it worth finding somewhere to test it and refill? We've only just set up a twin 50L keg rig in my mate's shed and only have a tiny bottle for it, riding past this almost seemed like like fate, it was meant to be.

So is it worth testing or is it just cheaper to swap and go? I have looked at mykegsonlegs and there isn't anywhere near me that do it, are there other places that test and fill?

Thanks for your help.

Ned

12092501_10153674704398914_523541660_n.jpg

I would assume that bottle still belongs to Supagas?
would hate to see you get it tested then go to get it filled and supagas reclaim their bottle.
where are you based? there seem to be a lot of brew shops around that do swap CO2 bottles over

Cheers for the reply Mick. I'm in Brunswick Melbourne. Do most joints just do swaps these days? Was hoping if I could get it tested I could find an independent that might refill

It's only $40 to have a cylinder tested and if it's a Supagas bottle then you own it. They don't lease bottles that I know of.

I though5 Supagas ONLY lease bottles. Hence why I bought my CO2 and Argon elsewhere.

You might get someone to refill it if you're lucky or you could call Supagas and see if they'll give you a finders fee. Surprised someone would toss it considering the lost bottle charge.

Black n Tan said:
That is not correct, Supagas do lease bottles.

Camo6 said:
I though5 Supagas ONLY lease bottles. Hence why I bought my CO2 and Argon elsewhere.

You might get someone to refill it if you're lucky or you could call Supagas and see if they'll give you a finders fee. Surprised someone would toss it considering the lost bottle charge.
Yup, I stand corrected. I was thinking of Speedgas.

Dial Supergas:

"Hi, I found one of your bottles and I was wondering if I need to pay rental on it?"

"Sure, I can help you, whats your name Sir?"

"My name?"

"Yes Sir, your name"

"My name..... its..... erm..... its..."

"Please Sir, I need to know your name so that I can help you"

"Ahhh, yes, my name is, its, hmmmmm, well, its........Nee...Neee........Neeeedhaminggstrom, yes, that's it , Nedinghamstrong."

"Sir, do you mean Ned?"

"No, not Ned, how did you come up with that....its Needing......her..strong.....ish"

"Mr Needy?"

"No! I'm not needy, well not really, its just that sometimes.......aham, no, its Needingsterom.... yes... that'll do."

"And your last name?"

Ahh, its Nordestrong."

"Sir, can I confirm thagt your name is Mr Needingsterom Nordestrong?"

"Ahh, yeeees, that soun..is...yep, sorry, yes sure that's me"

"Sir, Where did you rent the bottle from?"

"Rent? Should I be renting it if someone threw it out?"

"Oh yes Sir, rent must be paid. What is your serial number?"

"Umm, well, its 9987473943403....7366265634......5467"

"OMG SIR, that bottle had been OUTSTANDING SINCE 1967!!!!!"

Camo6 said:
Surprised someone would toss it considering the lost bottle charge.
I'm guessing by the amount of crap out the front someone may have died and their shed was getting cleaned out. Death has the be the only logical explanation to throw out brewing gear isn't it?

Back