Is aircon copper tubing a different size to plumbing tube?- Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the process of putting together an immersion chiller and am trying to source cheap copper. Polyaire seems to be the go but a comment on one website suggests that the outer diameter of aircon copper tube means it's not suitable for using standard copper solder fittings on. Anyone have any experience on this?

Cheers

Zarniwoop

depends what size you get :ph34r:

In all seriousness though, I think a lot of air con stuff is 3/8, just means you have to buy 3/8 fittings (you may have to go a 'real' plumbing shop not the big green box). I think what you're referring to as 'standard' is 1/2 inch. technically both are standard sizes.

I just purchased an 19mtr roll of soft drawn 1/2"copper tube from Actrol. Got it through a fridgey mate at trade price. was under $90.00. They also had 3/8 as well.
Cheers

joe

If getting the fittings aren't a major hurdle, is it better to get smaller diameter pipe?

My reasoning: Shouldn't a smaller diameter increase the relative surface area per volume of water, hence cool more efficiently per volume of water? [But could take a bit longer due to reduced overall surface area].

Or is 1/2" or 12.5mm generally the best balance of water efficiency plus overall speed of chillin' ?

zarniwoop said:
Hi All,

I'm in the process of putting together an immersion chiller and am trying to source cheap copper. Polyaire seems to be the go but a comment on one website suggests that the outer diameter of aircon copper tube means it's not suitable for using standard copper solder fittings on. Anyone have any experience on this?

Cheers

Zarniwoop

I can't remember specifically but I've got a feeling hvac tubing is slightly different diameter to standard copper tube. I think its measured by OD instead of ID and/or has a thicker wall section but I may be wrong. Should be fine if your just using hose and clamps but if you plan on using elbows or comp fittings they may not fit. May be a fridgie can confirm?

I just did a wikipedia search and it's American but it seems to possibly confirm this issue:

In the American plumbing industry, the size of copper tubing is designated by its nominal diameter, which is 1⁄8th inch less than the outside diameter. (This nominal diameter does not match any other physical dimension on the pipe; it may be larger or smaller than the inside diameter depending on the size of pipe). The American refrigeration industry uses different copper pipe called ACR (air conditioning and refrigeration field services) pipe, which is sized directly by its outside diameter (OD) and a type letter indicating wall thickness. Therefore, 1 inch nominal type L copper tube and 1 1⁄8th inch type D ACR tube are exactly the size with different size designations. ACR pipe is manufactured without processing oils that would be incompatible with the oils used to lubricate the compressors in the AC system.

don't get too excited, every time i've callled them for the last 12 months, they have none in stock

zarniwoop said:
I just did a wikipedia search and it's American but it seems to possibly confirm this issue:

In the American plumbing industry, the size of copper tubing is designated by its nominal diameter, which is 1⁄8th inch less than the outside diameter. (This nominal diameter does not match any other physical dimension on the pipe; it may be larger or smaller than the inside diameter depending on the size of pipe). The American refrigeration industry uses different copper pipe called ACR (air conditioning and refrigeration field services) pipe, which is sized directly by its outside diameter (OD) and a type letter indicating wall thickness. Therefore, 1 inch nominal type L copper tube and 1 1⁄8th inch type D ACR tube are exactly the size with different size designations. ACR pipe is manufactured without processing oils that would be incompatible with the oils used to lubricate the compressors in the AC system.
I stand corrected... why do the yanks have to mess up perfectly good measurements all the time

Latest posts

Back