Interrupted Boil...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdack

Reaction score
Well, here's the story.

I was putting together a bit of a Dunkleweizen last night, something along the lines of:

2 x Coopers Wheat extract
300gm or so of Munich
30gms or so of Dark
Tettnanger hops.
Safale WB-06

I'd finished steeping the grains and had just pitched the hops into the boil when 10mins in I get a phone call from #1 teenager who'd decided to use a large gutter rather than the brakes to stop his car. So the dilemma was, make teenager wait another hour or so for rescue, or interrupt the boil.

I chose option two and switched the stove off, put a lid on the beer and then went to rescue said teenager.

90 minutes, a broken front suspension, damaged steering and popped CV joint later it was back to brewing.

I continued on the boil as if there was no interruption. As the hops were there for bitterness I figure that the worst that has happened is they had a 90 minute steep and a 60 minute boil, so it will probably end up a little more bitter than expected.

Any thoughts on how bad this will end up tasting?

And if it does turn out really bad, make #1 teenager drink the lot as punishment... if that is deemed a suitable punishment?
Cheers.

Well, here's the story.

I was putting together a bit of a Dunkleweizen last night, something along the lines of:

2 x Coopers Wheat extract
300gm or so of Munich
30gms or so of Dark
Tettnanger hops.
Safale WB-06

I'd finished steeping the grains and had just pitched the hops into the boil when 10mins in I get a phone call from #1 teenager who'd decided to use a large gutter rather than the brakes to stop his car. So the dilemma was, make teenager wait another hour or so for rescue, or interrupt the boil.

I chose option two and switched the stove off, put a lid on the beer and then went to rescue said teenager.

90 minutes, a broken front suspension, damaged steering and popped CV joint later it was back to brewing.

I continued on the boil as if there was no interruption. As the hops were there for bitterness I figure that the worst that has happened is they had a 90 minute steep and a 60 minute boil, so it will probably end up a little more bitter than expected.

Any thoughts on how bad this will end up tasting?
Unfortunately this brew is doomed. Finish fermenting it out, bottle or keg as per usual, PM me when this is complete and I will come around and pick up for disposal.
;) mckenry

Unfortunately this brew is doomed. Finish fermenting it out, bottle or keg as per usual, PM me when this is complete and I will come around and pick up for disposal.
;) mckenry

LOL!!! :lol:

Troy Dack
I suggest you keep detailed notes of the brew,delays etc.
You may have created a masterpiece/masterbrew.

Thanks guys, tasted OK out of the sample tube.

I'll let it ferment out - let you know how it turns out in a couple of weeks.

Back