Insane Fizzy Cordial Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brauluver,

The original thought was to use some zesty Tettnang to give it a bit of flavour/bite.

Whatever works for U, though. Just brew it!
Radler, Radler, Radler, oi oi oi.

Doktor Seth out :p

"No beer make Homer something something", the novelty bottle opener played as I opened the stubbie of the passionate one. It poured with a tight creamy head into the Hoegarden glass (which was rinsed in water, in the Belgian style, before pouring). The pour was perfect with the beer spot-on the 250ml mark and the head at the rim of the vessel.
As I type, the head has subsided somewhat, and I note that the beer is quite clear, with a clingy 3 mm head. There is a slight haze, but that's it.
OK, so it's not a real Wit, as I'd hoped from the Spicy Ghost, but could I really have expected that much from Cascade, anyway?
Sniff test...I detect malt (prob DME), nutmeg and orange, in that order...and maybe some caramel. But the beer is straw yellow to pale amber. Good Aussie beer colour.

Let's taste the thing. Not too gassy, quite malty/caramelly, with a mild, not dominant bitterness. There's slightly dry bitter aftertaste from the nutmeg and hops. Just before the bitterness appears on the tongue, I can pick a very mild coriander flavour and the passionfruit.

Certainly not a phenolic Belgian. this leads me to think that there is little wheat in the Cascade can, but I'm willing to be corrected.

There is a little coriander and passionfruit in the nose, initially at least.
There is precious little lacing down the glass, but maybe it's my glassware.

As the beer warms, I get more malt, caramel and passionfruit aroma and flavour.

Seems like an English pale, more than a Wit, despite my recipe. Possibly a malty Belgian aftertaste with fruit, spices and subdued/ hidden alcohol flavour.

Last pour, and the head comes back, with medium sized bubbles and a significant passionfruit aroma again.

In summation, a good to good+ Belgian(?) pale with balanced bitterness, and a background of fruit and spices and alcohol. Quite balanced and certainly not nasty enough to deter one from drinking a few at a BBQ. Easy to drink quickly when cold, which could lead to rapid drunkenness due to the hidden alcohol, which I calculated at 5.8ish %

Cheers

Seth out :p

On the topic of insane cordial fizzy beers - my wife bought me an anniversary present ; 3 monts, tripel karmeliat, rubbel sexy lager (pretty good actually-and fun), forb fruit, and on topic a REDOAK blackberry heffeweizen.

While initially apprehensive about the fruity redoak, I thought I'd give it a try, last night poured out the pathetically small bottle (250mls) to 3/4 fill my smallest glass, and tasted, rasberry cordial, left it 10 minutes, tried again. Managed to drink about a third, then the babysitter arrived - perfect - hate to waste a "beer"- gave to babysitter who looked, tasted, strange look on face, tasted again, another strange look, sat down with glass - "doesnt taste like beer". :(

Not been one for framboise in the past (interesting experience), I shouldnt be surprised, but my wife after talking to the brewer at redoak for 40 minutes (apparently trying to source some ritzenhoff glasses), has promised me lunch at the establishment - so I've still got plenty of scope to taste beers that i havent had (and might enjoy too!).

Glad to see yours is on the subtle side weizguy! Theres a fine line between subtle and overdone.

Oh where will it all end? :eek:

Hope this isn't too off topic Weiz,but I was doing up a starter of 3333 german wheat this morning for the planned dunkel weizen and decided to throw a small amount of the master culture into a blend of 10% apple/blackcurrant 90% apple juice and put an oztop on it.I'll let it ferment at ambient temps for 5 days and then wack it in the fridge till it clears.

See what sort of a fruity/estery german cider i can come up with.
Teutonic cider maybe? :p

Brau( the experimental)luver.

barfridge said:
This is a scary thought, but I'm waiting for the day somebody thinks to ferment something with red bull!
I came back from Las Vegas recently and I had a beer that was just like a redbull. It had caffeine, gurano (SP??) and all the other things that are in redbull. It even tasted like redbull and it got you drunk :beer:.

Macr,

Did U get married by Elvis in Vegas?

Was there any warnings on consumption of the beer, as there is on Redbull etc?

Some people can get real sick if they take too much guarana, and deaths have been reported in our local newspaper re New Years revellers and too much "energy drink".

Seth

Elvis was about town, but did not get married by him. The missus would of killed me!! I am fairly sure it had warnings on it, Though I cannot be 100% sure :chug: ;)! It was in a dinosaur can.

Latest posts

Back