Infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crakaz

Reaction score
I have 2 weeks ago bottled a fresh wort Summer Ale and have noticed that there is a deposit not unlike yeast halfway up the bottle. Upon spinning the bottle the deposit dislodges and falls to the bottom of the bottle. I have tasted the ale and although only young, tastes okay. Has anyone else encountered this?

so what do you mean fresh wort ? as in unfermented beer ? or have you fermented the wort into bright beer the botteled?

wort is unfermented beer

so i am assuming that the fermentation is done and now you are carbonating the beer in the bottles .

are you laying them on there side to save space?
you said you have syphoned a bottle out and tasted it ?
it was ok so stand them up in a cooldark place and let time do its thing.
start your next batch and try this first batch again in a week .if it has all settled down your good to go if they taste like crap then chuck em and start again .

i think you will be ok .
how about a bit more info .

then we here can help you out a bit more.
DELBOY

Crakaz, I get something similar in some of my brews. Have never narrowed it down to a particular yeast or ingredient.

Some of the yeast sticks to the side of the bottle. It appears sometimes, to only stick on one side, and most of the bottles in that crate have the yeast also stuck to the same side. Like it is attracted to light (except they are in the dark,) or maybe a magnetic field.

Usually the yeast does not dislodge and sticks like the proverbial. Brushing out does not remove it, A good soak with PSR does remove it.

Is it longneck bottles?
It happen all the time to me and two weeks sound right to me.
Put them in a cooler and dark place now and the movement will loosen the yeast and the coolness will clear the beer quicker.
another 4 weeks you probably have a descent drop.
matti

I'm only new to brewing, but have noticed the same thing. As others have said it just seems like some of the yeast sticks to the side of the bottle for some reason..?
Mine seems to settle a little bit more and go down to the bottom of the bottle after putting it in the fridge for a while.. Then I drink it and it tastes fine :D

Is it yeast? Maybe bacterial, but most likely some plant based THING growing on the inside of the bottle facing some minute light source. Maybe Beer Triffids!

I have 2 weeks ago bottled a fresh wort Summer Ale and have noticed that there is a deposit not unlike yeast halfway up the bottle. Upon spinning the bottle the deposit dislodges and falls to the bottom of the bottle. I have tasted the ale and although only young, tastes okay. Has anyone else encountered this?

The bottles (345ml JSAA) are stored upright in a dark and cool area. Looks a lot like yeast.

kushti .then its yeast i just check mine last night and the same thing could even be slighly warmer on one side turn them round 180 degress and see if you get some grouth on the clean side . sound dumb but even this will test a theory???

del

I have noticed this as well. Sometimes when I dont put the bottles in the cupboard straight away and they sit on the bench, you can see the yeast in the bottles. I have noticed that it does reduce when the bottles are stored in the dark and when the beer is kept in the fridge for a while. It doesnt seem to affect the flavour of the beer though so I dont worry about it to much.

Is it yeast? Maybe bacterial, but most likely some plant based THING growing on the inside of the bottle facing some minute light source. Maybe Beer Triffids!

I agree, definitely sounds like Beer Triffids. I'd be looking at bottle cleanliness or it could be where sugar has adhered to a pitted surface in the bottle, causing a rampant yeast pillage (insert picture here of yeasties wearing viking helmets).

oK so excuse the ignorant but WTF is a beer triffid ??

:D :D :D :D

Beer_Triffid.jpg

Hehe :D nice one doogie!!

do a wiki search Barramundi, you'll find all the info you need on those nasty triffids

Rob.

Lol, I don't think triffid + beer will throw many worthwhile results.

"The Day of the Triffid" was a great book (IMHO), but the first 2/3 will put most people to sleep. Any hop grower will also report triffids.

Back to the problem.

If you have an infection, it will show by a slow increase in carbonation, sour flavour and vinegar flavoured brew. Clean and sanitise everything. A ring around the neck is an obvious sign.

However, under certain conditions, the yeast will slowly continue to work. A few people report a thin layer of yeast on the side of the bottle without the sour flavour.

Back