Increasing Bitterness Post Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_or

Reaction score
I have a small problem! Iv tried searching but can't really find the answer im after.

I normally Keg my beer, but for the first time in ages im going to be bottling a batch to give to my mates.
Fermentation finished without a hitch, and im now cold conditioning. My hydro samples taste fantastic, Great flavour and heaps of aroma
(tones of b-saaz and cascade flowers, yum). The problem is i may have under shot my bittering target.

I understand that the perceived bitterness of this 'freshly fermented' beer will be somewhat less without the presence of CO2,etc.
But im wondering if it would be worth boiling a small amount of high alpha hops with my bulk priming sugars? Purely for bitterness as aroma is fine (ie, longer boil rather than steep/FPress).

Has anyone tried this? Do you think it will work?
or should i grab some iso hop? (cringe...)

Thanks.

Michael

Drink it,
enjoy it for what it is,
make another...
make chalk mark on wall...

Having been a smart arse - I could suggest hop extract... you must be extremely careful though!!! Your head and bitterness should be OK, you may skew your flavours and flavour stability...

-snip- I've done the boil thing with a high alpha, but it didn't work for me - i think I overdid it...

Contact Ross at Craftbrewer and ask him about his hop extracts.

Awesome,
Thanks for the fast response guys.

Think il bottle this batch then buy some more chalk!

Cheers,
Michael

Easy to drink on under bittered beer. Not so easy to drink an over done one.
Just make it fizzier.

Latest posts

Back