Imperial Christmas Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulielow

Reaction score
I want to make an imperial stout for next Christmas so it will have plenty of time to age but just want to double check my ingrediants as i'll be doing a toucan extract kit.

20L spring water
1 coopers stout can
1 coopers dark ale can
2kg light dme
500g corn syrup(for viscosity)
1 sachet us-05(cause that's what was suggested I usein my last stout)
2 teabags cascade hops( 1 per fermenter i'll be using two so there's no blow off)

I haven't decided if i want to add fruit and spices to this to make it more christmassy or if this recipe will be bold enough after 10 months of aging.

Thanks for any feedback.

There is a Trican imperial stout recipe on the Coppers website.

I'd advise you to check it for yourself but it goes something like

1.7kg stout kit
1.7kg Dark ale kit
1.7kg lager kit
1.0kg dextrose
3X kit yeast

Make to 20 litres

Believe it or not I think the kit yeast suits this brew very well and even throws a few esters, I think due to the high starting gravity. It will be good by Christmas and continue to improve for at least another 2 years after that. Be warned though, it throws MEGA-KRAUSEN and keeping it cool can be an issue if you don't have a fermenting fridge.

There is a Trican imperial stout recipe on the Coppers website.

I'd advise you to check it for yourself but it goes something like

1.7kg stout kit
1.7kg Dark ale kit
1.7kg lager kit
1.0kg dextrose
3X kit yeast

Make to 20 litres

Believe it or not I think the kit yeast suits this brew very well and even throws a few esters, I think due to the high starting gravity. It will be good by Christmas and continue to improve for at least another 2 years after that. Be warned though, it throws MEGA-KRAUSEN and keeping it cool can be an issue if you don't have a fermenting fridge.

Thanks mate yes I've seen that recipe that was what got me interested in the IS in the first place but I thought I might get a better end product by adding the malt and hops instead of the third can... Have you made that recipe yourself?

Yes. It's 2 1/2 years old now and still aging well. It fermented a touch warm at 20-21*C which might also explain some of the yeast character. I added 250g black malt and 250g dark crystal to the recipe which may have helped but I tend to think you could go even harder on the black malt and maybe even some roast barley too. Viscous enough for my tastes but as I have nothing in the style to compare it to. Overall very happy witht he results, especially the price.

I don't think there is anything to be gained from the Cascade, as this beer is all about big, burnt, malty goodness, but if you really like cascade and want to give it a crack then by all means go for it.

Ok thanks, maybe I should add some dark malt aswell as the light malt and try and work out how to do a grain brew. Also I very rarely see temps below 25 oC and usually up towards 27 oC should I just wait till winter to brew this?

Oh, sorry dude. I wasn't sure what level you were at when I mentioned the grain. They don't need to be mashed, just steeped. It's really not that hard to steep grains if you're ready to branch out but no need to rush into it if you're not ready.

The recipe on the Cooper's website will still make a good beer. The main thing is to control your ferment temp. If ambient is 25*c this one will probably run closer to 28 for the first few days at least. For my 2c I'd say get it on now so it can age a bit by chrissy and have a search for ice bath or controlling ferment temp as there are some effective options open to you without having a ferment fridge.

P.S. I just have to ask. Why would you want to drink an RIS at christmas time? I don't mind the odd tallie of Southwark stout in summer but for me RIS is just too much.

It's for when my mate comes down for chrissy. And I guess it just seemed festive to me, hence the should I add fruit and spice to make it more christmassy. Plus we won't drink it all then just when I was going to try it. Should be good for winter 2013.... Thanks again for your help.

I have the Cooper's RIS. Be forewarned, the initial taste is quite winey, and it burns on the way down. It will age nicely (I hope), but I'd adjust the recipe if I did it again, chuck out the dextrose, and stick in a can of dark malt extract. Then add 300g choc malt, 300g black patent, and 300g roast barley. Don't put dextrose in stouts. They need to be thick and meaty, not watery.

Thanks guys, I've already ditched the dextrose from my recipe at the top and will also ferment in two fermenters to avoid blow off so krausen shouldn't be an issue.

this recipe should help you spice ideas for a chistmas beer

here is a better receipe than the coopers one (if so so inclined), easily lasts 3 years.

Hi mate,
I made the following 2 months ago, (20L)
1 x coopers stout
1 x coopers dark ale
1kg dark DME
120g treacle
US-05
Fermented at 18deg

Its black as pitch, thick, roasty and tastey. I didnt add extra hops to as i think its well bitter enough with the 2 cans. Aroma hops would be a consideration. Next time ill sub the dark ale can for a dark can of extract to reduce bitterness and maye look at adding some aroma hops or even a half cup of espresso.
This is smoothing out well and i reckon 12months it would be unreal.
Good luck

Cheers for the recipes... How would I go about adding 500g rolled oats to smooth it out?

Cheers for the recipes... How would I go about adding 500g rolled oats to smooth it out?

The effect of oats on smoothing out beers is in my experience exaggerated. If it's smoothness you are after an extract brew would be the way to go but with enhanced quality comes enhanced work...

If you want to do it there should be some recipes in the database that can be converted to spec grains and malt extract or someone might be able to help you out. You'll also want to download brewmate or beersmith and have a play around.

. "If it's smoothness you are after an extract brew would be the way to go but with enhanced quality comes enhanced work..."

What enhanced work do you speak of? Details please.

. "If it's smoothness you are after an extract brew would be the way to go but with enhanced quality comes enhanced work..."

What enhanced work do you speak of? Details please.
The exact method varies depending on who's doing it but usually consists of grabbing a few tins of malt extract maybe more depending on your batch size. Steeping some spec grains. Sparging your spec grains. Adding your liquor (collected sparge water and runnings from grains) to a big pot along with a tin of malt extract, some more water and some hops and boilng the bejesus out of it for an hour or so.

It's late and I'm a lazy typer so try these out. http://brewwiki.com/index.php/Extract_Brewing
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/articles_malt.htm http://beerdude.com/howto_brew_first_extract.shtml

and recipe: http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewt...l+stout#p100228 http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewt...tart=40#p107759http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewt...tart=40#p107759

This is by no means supposed to be a definitive guide but if you own a thermometer, colander, 12-15L stockpot and a stove it should be enough to get you started.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back