Immersion Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will go through some books tomorrow because i remember reading somewhere that copper during fermentation was a no-no

Cheers
:beer:

Richard

Cheers Richard, would be much appreciated if someone could give me a definate answer. So far it's all been hearsay with no real proof for and against.

What about placing your fermenters in some type of tub you could fill with water , then use the copper coils in there.
So you chill the water , water chills the fermenters.
No need for copper in your wort.

Batz

Hi Berto, try this Link . and read and follow Jyes link in the second post..... I still havent got my 100lt fermenter sorted yet but will probly go this way ...
cheers

Thought about that Batz, but would need different buckets for different fermenters so i can run different temperatures, which is no great drama. Only problem is i would find it annoying having to lift the fermenter out everytime i wanted to take gravity readings/samples. Ive also started thinking about a jacketed chiller which pumps fluid around inside it. somethign i might look into a bit more.

Edit: FNQ, i read that thread when you started it, and have since searched brewboard for an answer as to whether copper is good/bad or indifferent.

All Kunze (Technology Brewing and Malting) has to say about it is:

"Previously cooling was performed with copper cooling pipes, so called cooling coils, through which fresh water cooled to a low temperature was passed. Copper pipes provide good heat exchange but are difficult to clean and easily provide a source of infection."

No mention of any negative effect of copper itself anywhere in the fermentation chapter (or in any of the other books I have access to).

well i have looked through a few books but cant find the bit i remember reading some time ago. I did find reference to metal haze caused by copper (in a book called "making good wine") but it was taliking about copper contact after fermentation.
So sorry cant help.

Regards
Richard

Back