I'm Embarrassed To Ask This!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2kegbrew

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. Today I'm getting my fridge ready for my first keg sytem! Yahoo!!!
I've come across a problem I'm kinda ashamed I don't know the answer to! The kit I bought has come with hose clamps for the line, and I have no idea how they work!! The a a single piece of looped metal (sping steel maybe?) that look like a ring with a a square on both sides (picture the square with only three sides). Do you know the ones I mean? I know it's a pretty bad description, but I'm looking for a reasonably quick answer and can't be bothered messing around taking a pic.. downloading.. trying to work out how to put the pic on here etc.

Can anyone help me?

You squeeze the sides of the square bit, which compresses the clamp. The best thing to use is a pair of nail pliers. I've also used the cutting section of normal pliers before, but it's a real pain, compared to nail pliers that take about 1 sec to use.

See my attached dodgy picture of the clamp, and the type of pliers i mean.

clamp.JPG

20000401_Removing_Stuck_Nails_page003img002.jpg

Place the clamp roughly in position where you want it and slowly squeeze the two flat sections together with a pair of pliers. You will feel a snap or hear a click and the jobs done.
I find that long nosed pliers are better as you can see what's happening.

Good luck.

Thanks for your quick replies guys, I really appreciate it. Only problem is it's not that type of clamp. It is a solid piece of metal with two boxes opposite each other. No moving parts .. kinda gold colour.

Squeeze both sides as described above?

You see - now you know why I was embarrassed to ask!!!
Thanks guys!

Oh, wrong type that I've given clues on. Sorry!
Side cutters are good but don't go the whole hog or you'll cut 'em.

new2kegbrew said:
Thanks guys!
[post="91679"][/post]​

You wern't the first to ask and you won't be the last, I had no idea when I first got them as well.

:D

Good luck with your new setup!~

sluggerdog said:
new2kegbrew said:
Thanks guys!
[post="91679"][/post]​

You wern't the first to ask and you won't be the last, I had no idea when I first got them as well.

:D

Good luck with your new setup!~
[post="91687"][/post]​

Thanks sluggerdog - you make me feel a lot less stupid and embarrassed! I'll Post some pics when I'm done. I am REALLY looking forward to pulling that first glass!!

Make sure you release the head pressure in the keg after you carbonate it and before you pour the first beer of the keg. Otherwise your beer is going to hit the glass with a large amount of force and give you a beer shower or knock the glass to the ground.

It's great fun when you accidentally serve beer @ >300kPA :D

Lindsay Dive said:
Side cutters are good but don't go the whole hog or you'll cut 'em.

I use sidecutters...but they are super-blunt ones my grandfather gave me when I was about 10.

Twenty years of abuse has turned them into "sidesquashers" :lol:

PZ.

:unsure: I've only used the hose type clamps with the screw. They've been reliable.

Is there a reason that you guys prefer the clamp types that are shown???

Is it cost? The ones I mention are fairly pricey. Am I old fashioned??? :rolleyes:

Interested to know your opinions

Cheers & thanks in advance B)

Hey Sparky, I used the clip in the picture because they came with the kit I just bought. I can't see a problem with a jubilee (or worm drive) clamp - at least their very obvious on how they work!! Also I doubt the clips I have would be reusable, and now I'm thinking about it - I have no idea how to get the things off!!! Guess I worry about that when the time comes!!

Oetiker (and similar, like Tiger) clips don't tear up your lines like normal screw-type clamps...this is the reason given by retailers.

Problem is, as you know, you have to cut lines off anyway, so the above means jack-all.

I just use them because if they let go they won't take somebody's eye out :beer:

PZ.

Ahh!! Interesting comments....

The jubilees I've used have cut significantly into my lines. :unsure: This may cause problems in the future.

I have been changing things a little so the jubilees have been useful.

I'm about to start on my upgraded dispensing system, which involves a 3 tap font, a freezer and a more permanent set up.

I see the merit in using clips and once it's set up I hope I don't have to change anything.

As for taking someone's eye out, I appreciate that too!!! Where I work we have chains attached to fluid couplings on the Hydraulic systems, so if they let go the hoses lines are restrained. Works very well!!!

Apologies for going slightly off topic....Brewers Health & Safety etc ;) ;)

an 8mm swaging tool is the correct tool for the job >
but then again its up to the individual what you use and if it works well who am i to suggest anything. :D

delboy

Back