Idiot Merchandising

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Wadey

Reaction score
Asked the Mrs to go to Bunnings Carlingford and buy some 10mm clear tubing so that I could keg my beer.
This use to be on the roll and you could buy it by the metre.

She came back with 3metre pre-cut lengths folded every foot and bound with sticky tape.
How bloody stupid is that? Not the wife, BTW, the packaging!

I checked with the Artarmon branch, they only had 900mm pre-cut lengths.
I suspect Thornleigh branch will be the same.

Tough if you want to run a water level guys, you'll need a handfull of hose joiners.

Clever, very clever.

I ended up getting what I needed from Cox's Rd Hardware.

Rgds,
Pete

Bunnings Bendigo today had the 900mm pre cut pieces, but above them were 50-100Mt rolls :p

Pete
That seems to be a Bunnings thing now. I grabbed a heap of 8mm from Cox's Rd this morning. I even got a car park out the front! Buffalo Rd give a seniors discount of 10% which would suit you if you are not going to dye the grey ones anymore.
Cheers
Gerard

Best Bunning around our way guys is the one at Dural. Little bit further for you guys, but great layout, have all items and nice helpful staff.
Thornleigh is the inverse of all those statements. The place should be condemmed.

Doc

Pete
That seems to be a Bunnings thing now. I grabbed a heap of 8mm from Cox's Rd this morning. I even got a car park out the front! Buffalo Rd give a seniors discount of 10% which would suit you if you are not going to dye the grey ones anymore.
Cheers
Gerard

Those blokes at Cox's rd are great - and how much stuff do they manage to pack into that little shop?!?

Cheers =- Mike

Yeah, what happened to a bloody good hardware store ?

Bunnings here in Taren Point used to be great, then they re-shuffled and now its a complete sh.. fight.
I never attempt to go there on a weekend.
Lack of staff, and lack of interest..............
Quite common in major companys these days eh!

(off soapbox now) :angry:

FYI, Buffola Hardware is sadly closed. Not sure why it closed, bit strange as whenever i went it was always busy with weekend warriors and tradesmen. Such a shame, always had everything you needed. Guess they couldn't compete with the likes of Bunnings etc. Bit of a bummer when it was my local too.

I must say the service at the big ones are crap. Even though they might have a number of staff on, they are so insanely big that they end up being spread so thinly on the ground so they service sucks.

Will

Huge bummer that Buffalo Rd is gone, i drove past today but didn't notice. It was always a great place when it came to service & the right advise. Bunnings is like the Woolworths of Hardware stores, go in, find what you want , pay & piss off. Expect nothing from the staff apart from blank looks.
Cheers
Gerard

Complete Hardware in Rowe St? Are they still there?

They used to have a real counter that you waited at, the guys behind the counter knew exactly what you wanted and where it was in one of the gazillion boxes behind the counter. Parking could be a hassle though.

Sometimes you get lucky...
I was cleaning out Dad's (RIP) garage and scored a near new plunge router. I took it to the local Bunnings store to get a new router bit and hooked up with a young bloke who was an apprentice chippy as well as sales staff. He patiently stepped me through the removal and installation of the new router bit and gave me excellent advice on a tricky job involving laminex...Thanks to him the job was done with no fuss and even the missus was impressed! :lol:

He's now gone from the store - must have been a side earner whilst he finished off his apprenticeship.

Don't get mad with Bunnings - buy their shares! B)

I reckon there's a magic room all Bunnings staff teleport to when you ask them for help and they say... "I'll be back in a minute". Never to return. :lol:

Bludgers! <_<

Warren -

That Carlingford Bunnings store is by far the worst. It's only up the road, but it's always a waste of a trip trying to find anything you need there.

Should be renamed Bits of Bunnings

Yep, we've got an abbreviated Bunnings up the road in Coburg. Everytime you want something from the specials catalogue they claim not to have it. :angry:

Warren -

I visited the so-called Bunnings (ex local hardware store) in Batemans Bay and asked where the light fittings were. The bloke told me to not bother and gave me the name of a local lighting shop!!

Good career move that one....

the ashfield bunnings used to be in the running for worst hw store, but obviously has new management now & has be re-organised & actually has stock now that is organised in a standard way. mind you, the original bunnings stores had a fanstastic stock selection.

Pete
Cheers
Gerard

Skinny,
The 40th is not until next month. Until them I am in denial.
BTW: When I ascend into GreyDom will I be bestowed any discount privileges at ND Brewing?
If an out of business hardware store can manage 10%, surely a non existent homebrew shop front can manage at least 5%.

POL,
Yes Complete Hardware is still going strong in Rowe St. It is usually my first port of call, but when i discovered that the tubing is up in the dusty loft, I started going to Bunnings.

I should just stop messing around and buy a roll.

Rgds,
Pete

Latest posts

Back