Ideal Fermentation Temp For Safale Us-05

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favourite yeast.
Fermenting US05 at the moment in an American Stout @ 19 degrees C as recommended in 'Brewing Classice Styles' by Jamil and Palmer. Just wanted the right yeast driven profile for the particular style. I don't like holding it back and like to let it do it's thing at this temperature, it's an Ale yeast afterall. It turns out that this is my first Beercano through the airlock and it smells delicious.

I did it at 16 degrees, and of course there are no free lunches: at low temps US-05 will just hang on and hang on like an unwelcome relative with scummy little bubbles on the surface - nowadays for a 'normal' 5% beer I let it go for 10 days at those temperatures then rack and 'lager' it for another 10 days and it turns out great.

I have the temp controller running between 15-16 with the US-05, might just bump it up another degree between 16-17.

yup below 16 I reckon it's really pushing this yeast. The reason I switched to US-05 is that I had been using Nottingham, that can be used down to 14 degrees for a fake lager - but I found Notto to strip a lot of hop flavour especially in lightly hopped beers such as Aus standards. However US-05 isn't as flexible temperature wise and you have to be careful not to send it to sleep.

17c is my fav temp for brewing pale ales. At the low temps US-05 promotes citrus, perfect for this style.

cheers Ross

Jamil and Palmer also recommend 19 degrees C for an American IPA. In the past I've used it at 18 degrees C and it has produced very nice results and a nice steady fermentation. I've just started reyhdrating before I pitch and have found this to be quite helpfull in lowering lag times. I pitched it at 20 degrees C then lowered the wort to 19 degrees, fermentation was visibly well under way 6 hours later.

Using S-05 in a 63 gravity wort of 23 litres would require 1.5 packs. I use 2 packs and ferment low 18 for clean fermentation and good attenuation. Decide on the character you want in your beer, then select the yeast strain to suit, then the temp to get the flavour profile you require of the yeast strain. If fermenting on the cool end of the range for the yeast strain, pitch big. Brewing ABC.

Screwy

Hi all,
is the same true for WLP001 California Ale Yeast from Whitelabs?

Their web site says 20-22 degrees, but that sounds really warm..

Anyone tried this one below 18 degrees as well?

thanks
Bjorn

yeh I'm doing an s-05 ale right now in the fridge at 16-18...............no temp control just turn the fridge on a few times a day and its keeping it at the temp I want...........shit I don't even think I need a temp control, a timer will utrn the fridge off and on a bit evry hour and it's cheap, not acurate I know.... but hey i haven't got the $$:)

yeh I'm doing an s-05 ale right now in the fridge at 16-18...............no temp control just turn the fridge on a few times a day and its keeping it at the temp I want...........shit I don't even think I need a temp control, a timer will utrn the fridge off and on a bit evry hour and it's cheap, not acurate I know.... but hey i haven't got the $:)

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC...mp;form=KEYWORD

Hi Guys,
Have a Golden Ale in the ferment frig, using o5, started at 22deg. 12 days at 16deg., racked tonight 1007fg, Beersmith gave final of 1012, starting at 1041, mash was a bit low, is that what gave me such good attenuation.
Briby

Beersmith gave final of 1012, starting at 1041, mash was a bit low, is that what gave me such good attenuation.

See this a lot, Beersmith is software, it knows nothing, uses something as a reference. The attenuation entered in the Beersmith Yeast Database for S-05 in this case. Beersmith does not take into account factors which will influence attenuation, high gravity will generally result in lower attenuation, large pitch will generally result in higher attenuation. Mash temp and less fermentables in the grist bill will also affect attenuation.

Cheers,

Screwy

Back