Ice Cream & Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schooey

Reaction score
I dunno if this should be in off topic or here, because it is beer related... :blink:

I've been having a love affair with Murray's Wild Thing Imperial Stout ever since it came out, it's freakin' delicious and I can't champion it enough..... So if you missed out on it, sucked in!

Anyway... The brother and I like to have a bit of freindly rivalry in everything, including cooking. He and his better half came over tonight for dinner and his challenge was I make three courses for dinner, all beer involved. The first two were easy, but a dessert with beer?

So I got to thinking..... and it ended up costing me two stubbies of Wild thing, but I reduced them in a saucepan down to a rich syrupy consistency and served a big dollop of homemade extra creamy ice cream with a brandy snap and the Wild Thing syrup..... and it was freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekin' delicious!

Who says beer has no place in a dessert?

Beer, Chocolate and Honeycomb go really well.. I so wish I was the Chef at a Micro and not a Chef in Hervey Bay.. :(

My talents are wasted!! :rolleyes:

i seriously have to find an excuse to get out of Hervey Bay... ;)

Its a beautiful place but not on the food front for me, im bursting with energy but I only get deflated... :(

Always welcome if you ever get a cheap flight direct up here mate... :icon_cheers:

Beer, Chocolate and Honeycomb go really well..

Tell me about it! The MT Katya Imperial would sit pretty well with some scrummy chocolate inspired desert. A restaurant on the Brissy Northside actually suggested the JS Porter as an accompaniment to one of their deserts so this isn't completely unheard of...

I so wish I was the Chef at a Micro and not a Chef in Hervey Bay.. :(

My talents are wasted!!

Be careful what you wish for! A lot of good chefs look for a "[insert type] change" to get way from the humdrum of big city life, and to create their own stamp in a beautiful setting that people will come for miles around to chase down. Make the most of the local inspirations where you are and run with it! The setting you have looks amazing and I am sure that the seafood influence that must surely exist being where you are would be a joy to work with!

i seriously have to find an excuse to get out of Hervey Bay... ;)

Its a beautiful place but not on the food front for me, im bursting with energy but I only get deflated... :(

While I'm sorry that Hervey Bay isn't exactly the field of dreams it could be for some, I'm sure there are bigger and better things ahead for you. I'm sure that you will leave behind a small but dedicated band of followers who will pine after you once you've gone. In the meantime, I'd better bring forward plans to have a w/end trip up your way to experience Hervey Bay, your menu and a mutual brew tasting session... :icon_cheers:

Be careful what you wish for! A lot of good chefs look for a "[insert type] change" to get way from the humdrum of big city life, and to create their own stamp in a beautiful setting that people will come for miles around to chase down. Make the most of the local inspirations where you are and run with it! The setting you have looks amazing and I am sure that the seafood influence that must surely exist being where you are would be a joy to work with!

I sort of thought I could do the same, but the people here are very set in their ways, local trade is ok but we probably get more people from out of town/interstate that dont want to go to the Pub/Club or other Poor eateries.. Alot of Chefs have come up here from what I hear to make a mark, it doesnt happen and they leave :( .. The setting is amazing yet people dont make the most of it, a town of 55000 people with a MASSIVE Boat Club and MASSIVE Rsl kills all others.. No Seafood really exists here mate, further North most likely, no demand here.. Not enough anyhow..

While I'm sorry that Hervey Bay isn't exactly the field of dreams it could be for some, I'm sure there are bigger and better things ahead for you. I'm sure that you will leave behind a small but dedicated band of followers who will pine after you once you've gone. In the meantime, I'd better bring forward plans to have a w/end trip up your way to experience Hervey Bay, your menu and a mutual brew tasting session...

I didnt move here for work or anything, I moved here to be closer to my young son(lived with his mum at the time) and now he lives with me so I feel my work is done here now.. They are not that dedicated up here mate, when I left the Sunny Coast and the Restaurant I was at for 3.5 years, thats where I left a big band of followers but it also is going a little backward aswell..

Anytime Gravity, all for drinks with a fellow brewer.. ;)

We'll have to work something out sooner rather than later. In the meantime :beer:

Sounds like you should have been an Iron Chef challenger, mate! Your dessert sounds ace.

There were so many ingredients that just couldn't be dessert in any culture but ended up that way. If you haven't seen it, do find some for a look see.

Cheers - Fermented.

I've had ice cream made with beer.
A place in the valley had Regatta Ale Ice Cream, a brown chocolately ale made into an ice cream. Very nice.
Apparently Newcastle Brown did the same in the UK...

We have a very tasty german beer cake that's a regular at beer events up here...

Here is a recipe for Icecream using Guinness Stout

Guinness ice cream
January 18, 2006

Makes 1 quart

1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup Guinness stout
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons molasses
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract