I Believe I Have Cracked It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am happy with this recipe... It fits the 17/83 ratio suggested by BB. I can save my LDME for #6. ;)

Probably like most things, everything has it's place.... I am happy to use Dextrose, however I will be trying an all malt soon.... Maybe #6...

Since you are using a good yeast, US05, you might as well try this:

After draining fermenter, remove lid and pour as much beer out, leaving the 'yeast cake' behind.
Fit lid back on and shake the shit out of the fermenter to get the cake to dislodge from the bottom and tip on an angle ( in a sink is good and safe ) with the tap at the lowest point. The cake will soon be over the tap hole.

Grab your ( sterilised ) 2 x 600 mls or smaller plastic pet bottles, small measure jug and funnel.

Lift fermenter above jug, line up tap and remove tap and let the yeast cake drain out. You Should get a good 1 cup. Pour 1/2 cup via the funnel into each pet and seal. Fridge until required. Use one pet of yeast cake per brew.

You can do this up to 6 times per ONE packet of yeast. Just label each pet ie: gen.1, then gen2 next reuse and so on. This way you get up to 12 brews per $4.50 packet of yeast. Just let yeast come up to room temp before opening and pouring into wort and stir it up.

That's a saving of 50 odd bucks..... 50 odd bucks of LDME for FREE!

Try Amarillo, Cascade and Galaxy - great hops.

Interestingly the Papazian recipe for Fair Dinkum Sparkling Aussie Ale uses only a tin of Coopers Light Malt Extract, and no other fermentables.

Albeit using the Real Ale can not the Sparkling. Curiously the recipe also calls for a 60min boil, which Ive been reading you shouldnt do for kits as it kills the hop flavour. I made this recipe myself actually (still in bottles conditioning) and it came out quite dark due to the boiling.

Cheers,
Jake

BB, can't find any reference to dex in the link provided???
Cheers B.G.

:icon_offtopic:

BG,

Hello,

that percentage is mentioned in the book I loaned to you last time you were over.

Happy New Year to all,

BB

Since you are using a good yeast, US05, you might as well try this:

After draining fermenter, remove lid and pour as much beer out, leaving the 'yeast cake' behind.
Fit lid back on and shake the shit out of the fermenter to get the cake to dislodge from the bottom and tip on an angle ( in a sink is good and safe ) with the tap at the lowest point. The cake will soon be over the tap hole.

Grab your ( sterilised ) 2 x 600 mls or smaller plastic pet bottles, small measure jug and funnel.

Lift fermenter above jug, line up tap and remove tap and let the yeast cake drain out. You Should get a good 1 cup. Pour 1/2 cup via the funnel into each pet and seal. Fridge until required. Use one pet of yeast cake per brew.

You can do this up to 6 times per ONE packet of yeast. Just label each pet ie: gen.1, then gen2 next reuse and so on. This way you get up to 12 brews per $4.50 packet of yeast. Just let yeast come up to room temp before opening and pouring into wort and stir it up.

That's a saving of 50 odd bucks..... 50 odd bucks of LDME for FREE!

Try Amarillo, Cascade and Galaxy - great hops.

Cheers Cube...

Thanks for the explaination. I have read a few posts about reusing yeast cake, but that explaination is pretty good.

I will definitely be trying it.

BTW: Brew number 5 is underway.... ;)

:party:

Back