Hydroponic Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The video posted in here (part 4 or 5 I think) talked about a startup called Space Farm Enterprises or something like that growing hydoponic hops in clay pellets. Can't seem to find much else about them on the web though.

screwtop,

are u implying u can run a hps without ballast, and you wont have to pay the power company for it.

'im blaming you if my house burns down'

I was toying with this idea too, and have a trial going with a basil plant.
We've got this outdoor water feature that pumps water from the bottom tank up to the top tank and cascades down, very pretty. I have the plant in the top tank sitting in pea gravel and the pump timer comes on for 1 hour four times a day, rise and fall system. The good part is that there are goldfish in the bottom tank providing constant nutrients.
The basil is healthy and growing well but suffering a bit under the Perth sun. So next hop season I will be digging them up and feeding them fish poo.

I was toying with this idea too, and have a trial going with a basil plant.
We've got this outdoor water feature that pumps water from the bottom tank up to the top tank and cascades down, very pretty. I have the plant in the top tank sitting in pea gravel and the pump timer comes on for 1 hour four times a day, rise and fall system. The good part is that there are goldfish in the bottom tank providing constant nutrients.
The basil is healthy and growing well but suffering a bit under the Perth sun. So next hop season I will be digging them up and feeding them fish poo.

That sounds like the more advanced form of hydroponics known as aquaponics, whereby you provide fish food instead of nutrients and the fish provide the nutrients in the form of fish poo. Meanwhile, the vegies suck out the nutrients and keep the water clean for the fish.

Although you typically use a slightly tastier fish than a goldfish.........

That sounds like the more advanced form of hydroponics known as aquaponics, whereby you provide fish food instead of nutrients and the fish provide the nutrients in the form of fish poo. Meanwhile, the vegies suck out the nutrients and keep the water clean for the fish.

Although you typically use a slightly tastier fish than a goldfish.........

this is exactly what I have setup. a 1000L IBC gravity feeding a blue plastic 44 gallon drum cut in half length-ways, to create two tubs that are used as the grow beds. filled with gravel and gravity drain to a sump that has a float switch turning on a return pump that feeds a sprinkler in the lid to help with aeration.

Growbeds currently planted to rockmelon, strawberries and a dwarf coffee tree.

Fish tank (IBC) has 3 approx 30cm golden perch and a handful of smaller GP and silver perch a couple of native catfish and a lot of yabbies. I did have a 62cm murray cod to go in there but it didn't survive.

IBC also has an aerator.

I have thought of growing hops in there, I think they would go crazy.

I'll take a photo during the break in cricket and post a picture.

hey i take it you guys are'nt using hydro lights to grow these hopps. if so has anyone tried it cos i got a couple of lights left over from when i was growin................ well lets just say the were 'tomartos' any way i quit smokin, i mean eatin tomartos and there sittin there doin nothin. i surpose that they would draw to much power to grow hops and make it worth it. any way has any one grown hopps in darwin. i've got a patch 6m by 8m to grow them. where would i get the seeds and what variety should i start with?

Keep me informed with this rig!

My hops aren't doing too good in Sydneys Hills District. Toying with a hydroponic system... probally cost more than buying them but it isn't the point! I want to grow them.

Question... Can you manipulate the nutrients to make them flower, or are you relying on the plant deciding that for you?

Cheers,
Jarrad

I grow chilli's, tomato's and strawberries under lights and yes you can increase yield by variations in the light spectrum and duration combined with the different nutrients for growth and bloom.

I wouldn't mind throwing in some hops too but I am unsure where to get clone/seedlings from.

Are they a specialty item or can you get them at a nursery?

I will throw up some pics of my setup which is just a timer board, pond pump and high rating compact fluro's although I am going to change from perl/verm mix to expanded clay as I am having drainage issues.

I reckon the rhizome would rot after being submersed in liquid after a while?
Cheers
Steve

well we'll all see, I'm in the process of setting this up to propagate clones - I don't think trying to get them to flower would be practical/economical or even work, but for propagating it would work fine.

I can see it now, AA rated hops at 40% plus, 1g 60 min additions :lol:

Someone posted a link to a series on beer on youtube the other day, I'm sure in it there were a bunch of fellas that have set up an indoor hydroponic hop growing business. Something like a $500k investment...

well we'll all see, I'm in the process of setting this up to propagate clones - I don't think trying to get them to flower would be practical/economical or even work, but for propagating it would work fine.

Yep seedlings would work fine to get them up and running - let us know how it goes.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Folks,

I run an aquaponics set up. I don't have any of my hops in it at this stage but am planning on putting in some next year.
The way I run my system is what is called a flood and drain system, basically water is pumped into a growbed to a predetermined level and then drained out.

The only problem I can see with growing hops in this manner is timing. I wouldn't put them in the system until I got some shoots and then you would need to remove the rhizones from the system as soon after harvest as possible. Basically I wouldn't leave it in the system while it's dormant for fear of rot.

Himzo.

I'm gonna give this another "BUMP".

I wanna grow hops in a "closed" environment. I read that rhizome rot may be a problem.

Dalby is prone to cold snaps and frost quite often in the winter morning (before you all start thinking what i want to do...... :p )

I will setup a closed environment where it should be a nice environment all year round for these buggers.

I wanna grow hops in a "closed" environment. I read that rhizome rot may be a problem.

Dalby is prone to cold snaps and frost quite often in the winter morning (before you all start thinking what i want to do...... :p )

I will setup a closed environment where it should be a nice environment all year round for these buggers.
Some of the famous hop-growing regions in the world are in locations where it is very rarely warm and often covered in snow during winter - hops are used to and thrive in such conditions - much more than they used to the sub-tropical climate in QLD.
Since hops grow so much and so high, the only hydroponic hops I have seen, were actually quite sickly and less productive than those grown outside.

Some of the famous hop-growing regions in the world are in locations where it is very rarely warm and often covered in snow during winter - hops are used to and thrive in such conditions - much more than they used to the sub-tropical climate in QLD.
Since hops grow so much and so high, the only hydroponic hops I have seen, were actually quite sickly and less productive than those grown outside.

I cannot see the benefit of growing by hydro. It is not at all difficult to find a suitable medium, however the cost of the hydro lights (powering them not buying them) would make the hops probably the most expensive on earth. I think a typical household 'tomato' setup runs at $4/day or so. The length of the hops would also be prohibitive as you would require multiple lights and a bloody high ceiling to maximise yield.

If you want to grow hops outside using hydro, I would suggest using the clay balls (pea gravel?). It is commonly used for berry trees (see the berry farm near Olinda). The are grown in sacks full of the gravel. Impossible to drown them. Easy to move after the season (drag it under shelter) or split it up. Automating the watering system is simple too.

Latest posts

Back