Huge Bubblegum Flavour In Hefe-weizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I kegged my second Hefe yesterday and it has heaps of bubblegum aroma and flavour. The main diff was I fermented this at 28 deg C and stopped the fermentation at 1.014.(Although it was slowing right down by then). The OG was very high though 1.062. I used the WB-06 and use JW Wheat this time at 60% milled to flour and hit 85% at 25 litres so I added 5 litres of water to the fermenter. I also did a protein rest this time, and pitched the yeast without airating the wort and it was going nuts withing 6 hours. Looks like being a great beer.

Steve

#56 Hefe-Weizen
Bavarian Weizen (Weissbier)

Date: 14/02/2008
Batch Size: 30.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 38.46 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Keg
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 81.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4000.00 gm Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 60.61 %
2500.00 gm Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 37.88 %
100.00 gm Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 1.52 %
50.00 gm Saaz [2.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Weizen (Fermentis #WB-06) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.55 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.48 %
Bitterness: 10.1 IBU Calories: 529 cal/l
Est Color: 7.9 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Double Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 6600.00 gm
Sparge Water: 25.07 L Grain Temperature: 15.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 15.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.2 PH

Double Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
20 min Protein Rest Add 10.00 L of water at 61.3 C 52.0 C
90 min Saccrification Add 10.00 L of water at 85.8 C 67.0 C

28degrees is far too hot for a hefe... that is where all those bubblegum (and banana etc.) esters will come from. I personally don't (deliberately) ferment a hefeweizen over 20deg.

I kegged my second Hefe yesterday and it has heaps of bubblegum aroma and flavour. The main diff was I fermented this at 28 deg C and stopped the fermentation at 1.014.(Although it was slowing right down by then). The OG was very high though 1.062. I used the WB-06 and use JW Wheat this time at 60% milled to flour and hit 85% at 25 litres so I added 5 litres of water to the fermenter. I also did a protein rest this time, and pitched the yeast without airating the wort and it was going nuts withing 6 hours. Looks like being a great beer.

Steve

#56 Hefe-Weizen
Bavarian Weizen (Weissbier)

Date: 14/02/2008
Batch Size: 30.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 38.46 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Keg
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 81.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4000.00 gm Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 60.61 %
2500.00 gm Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 37.88 %
100.00 gm Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 1.52 %
50.00 gm Saaz [2.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
11.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Weizen (Fermentis #WB-06) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.55 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.48 %
Bitterness: 10.1 IBU Calories: 529 cal/l
Est Color: 7.9 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Double Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 6600.00 gm
Sparge Water: 25.07 L Grain Temperature: 15.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 15.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.2 PH

Double Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
20 min Protein Rest Add 10.00 L of water at 61.3 C 52.0 C
90 min Saccrification Add 10.00 L of water at 85.8 C 67.0 C

Very interesting, just brewed a wheat with that yeast, and started it cold ( 10c ), and kept it under 20c, and it has very little banana. SAH tried it, and he had the same ( i did it because he had good results doing it ). SAH, are you there??, im sure he'll read this and chime in, and explain further.

I recently used WB-06 and got very little of the Banana or Bubble Gum esters you woudl expect. In fact I got very little ester at all. I fermented at 21C and the SG was somewhere around 1.050. They were both very dry and bland, hard to explain really. I think I will give this yeast a second go, but ferment at 23-23 this time.

Well yes. I mean imagine a hefeweizen with banana and bubblegum esters... :eek: <_< ;)

The general consensus on wb06 has so far been that it doesn't produce much in the way of these characteristics, more on the clove side of things, so it is interesting to hear that these came through.
Maybe no one has gone quite as high as SJW so far...
Could also be related to the slightly higher gravity perhaps?

Most people following similar routines / temps to the 18-22C and rule of 30 have still been getting not much in the way of banana, at least last I read, from this yeast...

Very interesting, just brewed a wheat with that yeast, and started it cold ( 10c ), and kept it under 20c, and it has very little banana. SAH tried it, and he had the same ( i did it because he had good results doing it ). SAH, are you there??, im sure he'll read this and chime in, and explain further.
I had the pleasure of sampling SAH's Hefe and it was a top drop

50% Wheat
50% Pils
And Spalter to about 15 IBU from memory

Cheers

I kegged my second Hefe yesterday and it has heaps of bubblegum aroma and flavour. The main diff was I fermented this at 28 deg C and stopped the fermentation at 1.014.(Although it was slowing right down by then).

Interesting! :icon_cheers:

I just kegged a Hefe which was a 50L batch split brewed between WY3068 abd WB-06. Both beers were pitched at 15C and fermented at 15-16C, until gravity was near completion (around 1.016) and then allowed to rise to 20C for the last couple of days. (OG 1.052 FG 1.009).

The 3068 is wonderful with classic weizen character, has a nice (reasonably low) level of clove and banana. While the WB-06 has detectable phenolics (type not as pleasant as 3068) and no noticeable banana, but some other type of fruity esters (type I can't quite pick).
The WB-06 has an low level of undesirable bready flavour and also more tang (sourness).
Both are quite drinkable but at the 3068 is markedly better.

By the sounds of your ferment, WB-06 needs a higher temperature to develop the banana ester, how strong are the phenolic flavours??

Cheers,
PJO

I have a 1.074 weizenbock currently in the fermentation fridge. I have it 12 hours at ambient, in which it climbed to 26C. I now have it at 18C. I'm hoping for tangy, estery and phenolic. Pitched just one WB-06 to stress the yeast into ester production. Will report back on the weekend when I keg.

It was obvious to me, with everyone saying that they were not getting any Banana/bubblegum with the WB-06 fermenting at 20 deg C, I tried this one at 28/30 deg C, and its a cracker. Just because the rule book says not to ferment that high, that's a great reason to give it a go. IMO.
I would be interested to hear about anyone elses results with this yeast at this temp. I also think the 1.014 F.G. Might have something to do with it. Its big sweet, bananary and bubble gummy very different to my first attempt with German Wheat, single infusion and fermented at 20 deg C.

Steve

SJW I reckon you're right about the higher FG giving a better result - the problem could be that over time it might dry out a little, even if you keep it at serving temperatures. Of course this depends on how long the keg lasts!

SJW I reckon you're right about the higher FG giving a better result - the problem could be that over time it might dry out a little, even if you keep it at serving temperatures. Of course this depends on how long the keg lasts!

HA, my keg isn't gunna last long, that's for sure!

Well with a German Black Lager, a Irish Red and an English Special Bitter also on tap it should last a month or so, but its hard to go past a nice fresh Wheat beer!

It was obvious to me, with everyone saying that they were not getting any Banana/bubblegum with the WB-06 fermenting at 20 deg C, I tried this one at 28/30 deg C, and its a cracker. Just because the rule book says not to ferment that high, that's a great reason to give it a go. IMO.
I would be interested to hear about anyone elses results with this yeast at this temp.

I'm half-tempted to try. The bready-tart-clovey profile of it at more 'normal' temps was just too much for me.

i brewed the same recipe 50/50 pils and wheat. One brew was on 18-20 and was ok to drink with no real bubblegum etc.etc. The next one was brewed at 23-25 and was bloody beutiful. (both OG's were 1051)

A mate i aint seen in a long time and has no idea on brewing turned up and his first comment was, it looks like orange juice and tastes like bubblegum. :lol:

edit:high temperature brewing: I brewed a bock at 18 degrees by mistake and was the best bock ive ever tried

and no big headaches the following day? That would be my only worry... if you've had good results, I'm tempted to have a crack myself!

WB-06 is a very versatile yeast by reports posted on this thread and others.

It produced a lovely balanced Hefe for me. The beer was sampled by quite a few people including many of the IBUs.

It was dry but not tart, good balance of banana and bubblegum with some clove.

The vitals:
Single infusion mash at 66.5C
OG 1.041
FG 1.006
AA 85%
Pitched at 9C
Fermented at 18C

Recipe was as Cortez noted but 14 IBU.

SJW, your AA is 77%, at 28C I'm surprised you didn't have a Coffs Harbour banana planation relocate to your fermenter.

regards,
Scott

SJW, your AA is 77%, at 28C I'm surprised you didn't have a Coffs Harbour banana planation relocate to your fermenter
Its not over the top but I must says there is no way near as much tartness in this compareed with my first, brewed at 20, and single infusion. But I did use German Wheat in that one.
Also beersmith says AA was 74%?
Steve

Sorry SAH I forgot I added some water to the fermenter and it came down to 1.056. Sorry :rolleyes:

Back