How Will A Toucan Coopers Lager Work?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Doodes,
I've got 2 cans of coopers lager, 1 can bavarian lager and a canadian blonde bought on specials in expectation to have fun the next few months but i'm robbed for time :angry:
So in an effort to use up stock I was thinking of doing a toucan lager. Will it be to bitter for a lager? I've seen on prev posts that the kit has IBU of 390, so comparing that to other kits 2 x 390 will be close to the kit bitter :eek:
I've got a load of saaz and hallertau, which could be used to balance up on flavour, aroma?.
Also Got 1.5kg DME, and smak pak Danish lager yeast I was hoping to start up and split for the few brews.

If its not too much on one post, I'd love to mini mash some grain to improve head retention, and I have read wheat & or carapils is where its at. does it work for kits as I've found corn syrup powder doesn't retain enough.

Thanks

Could always do a minimash with some carapils/wheat as you said, or 250g of each, and then put 1 of the kits in the boil (this will effectively get rid of the bitterness incorporated in the kit if i recall correctly). Boil through the hot break before doing any additions. At flameout, chuck the can in to dissolve before cooling, transferring and topping up. That way you'll only get the bitterness of 1 kit, with extra flavour/aroma hopping.

Doodes,
I've got 2 cans of coopers lager, 1 can bavarian lager and a canadian blonde bought on specials in expectation to have fun the next few months but i'm robbed for time :angry:
So in an effort to use up stock I was thinking of doing a toucan lager. Will it be to bitter for a lager? I've seen on prev posts that the kit has IBU of 390, so comparing that to other kits 2 x 390 will be close to the kit bitter :eek:
I've got a load of saaz and hallertau, which could be used to balance up on flavour, aroma?.
Also Got 1.5kg DME, and smak pak Danish lager yeast I was hoping to start up and split for the few brews.

If its not too much on one post, I'd love to mini mash some grain to improve head retention, and I have read wheat & or carapils is where its at. does it work for kits as I've found corn syrup powder doesn't retain enough.

Thanks

If it is too bitter, call it Pale Larger (not pale ale) and make it a new style. :chug:

It will turn out unlike a lager, but still a good beer nonetheless. It will turn out kind of like an English bitter, but will still be good. This is going on the one glass I had of Wortgames' toucan Bavarian Lager (which, I'll add, tasted perfectly good to me).

Give it a go, but just don't expect a lager.

Yes do it. Both of those kits are actually pretty light in the hops department. You can always top up with water to 25L as there's plenty of malt to go around.

Back