How Was Beer Served In The Old Days?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im pretty sure it was served as wet as it is these days

I lived in Bendigo when it had 51 pubs, there was even more during the goldrush. One I recall being the ole hotel just up from Vine St and had a few thingamabobs/birds/big tails lyrebirds running around the yard. They used to receive roll/hang the kegs up the driveway using a pulley rope system.
The pub is closed now and has been for years but if anybody knows what im talking about, let me know. These days its just the boring ole Fifeshire since the Rifle Brigade stopped/shut up shop brewing crafts. The brewing history of Bendigo during the goldrush would be intriguing nonetheless.

For those interested Brett Stubbs has published a history of Beer, Mines and Rails. I was in correspondence with him some time back re brewing history here in Gympie. Wow we beat Bendigo during the Goldrush, there were 70 pubs in the main street here then.

View attachment New_BMR_Flyer___SFS.pdf

Contact Brett Stubbs [[email protected]]

I lived in Bendigo when it had 51 pubs, there was even more during the goldrush. One I recall being the ole hotel just up from Vine St and had a few thingamabobs/birds/big tails lyrebirds running around the yard. They used to receive roll/hang the kegs up the driveway using a pulley rope system.
The pub is closed now and has been for years but if anybody knows what im talking about, let me know. These days its just the boring ole Fifeshire since the Rifle Brigade stopped/shut up shop brewing crafts. The brewing history of Bendigo during the goldrush would be intriguing nonetheless.

I've done the Bendigo pub crawl when it had 48 pubs in it (a pot at each one), a truely messy experience :rolleyes: .
That old pub was the Gold Mines (or was it the Gold Fields?) we used to sneak out of Fortuna for a few if the old bird who ran it had bothered opening.

I've done the Bendigo pub crawl when it had 48 pubs in it (a pot at each one), a truely messy experience :rolleyes: .
That old pub was the Gold Mines (or was it the Gold Fields?) we used to sneak out of Fortuna for a few if the old bird who ran it had bothered opening.

Gold Mines :)

Back