How To Open An Asahi Style 19l Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Underside...

20141209_182029.jpg

20141209_182106.jpg

I've got half a dozen (purchased through andale years ago)

Best way I've found to open them is to use a pair of multi grips spread wide enough to engage tabs evenly and unscrew.

use a 10c piece and a spare coupler to undo safety catch. Have considered removing safety tab... one seems to be worn and doesnt work anyway. Not afraid of spear shooting out because if you try to open pressurised it makes a bloody mess and spear stays put. having a spare coupler makes it easy enough to not bother and removes spear in forehead theory from the mix though.

like them a lot better than corny kegs, the couplers are much more satisfying to use than ball locks!

Kingmaa said:
I've got half a dozen (purchased through andale years ago)

Best way I've found to open them is to use a pair of multi grips spread wide enough to engage tabs evenly and unscrew.

use a 10c piece and a spare coupler to undo safety catch. Have considered removing safety tab... one seems to be worn and doesnt work anyway. Not afraid of spear shooting out because if you try to open pressurised it makes a bloody mess and spear stays put. having a spare coupler makes it easy enough to not bother and removes spear in forehead theory from the mix though.

like them a lot better than corny kegs, the couplers are much more satisfying to use than ball locks!
Yeah agree I've taken my safety tab rings off. Don't cut them its literally a 2min job to disassemble, remove the safety tab ring and reassemble.

20141130_184932 (1024x851).jpg

No idea if you could replace spears.

The KK opening tool used to be $100 and something, they are less than $50 now so i wound up getting one. Very easy process now. There are also type S couplers floating around on ebay for $25-45 including postage, it would probably be cheaper to re rig for type s.

blair said:
Yeah agree I've taken my safety tab rings off. Don't cut them its literally a 2min job to disassemble, remove the safety tab ring and reassemble.

attachicon.gif
20141130_184932 (1024x851).jpg
I know this is an old thread but i have finally removed the Spear and now i need a little help in dismantling it so i can remove the Safety tab.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi I would like to use some kegs for beer and cider is there some easy tool to use I news I'm just a distiller or try to be. I have 8 Asahi kegs 2 different types. I'm happy to just keep one type that it easy way so I can take them on and off and filled with beer.

Lol. Asahi don’t give a f about collecting their kegs.

The company as a whole won’t do any better threatening/ intimidating our members, that shit leads to people boycotting brands.

Pretty sure Asahi aren't insinuating that you personally stole the kegs tugger (although your immediately defensive attitude does suggest it). They know their kegs are in circulation on Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace etc and many people aren't aware before purchase that they are in fact buying stolen goods. Pull your head in.

Pretty sure Asahi aren't insinuating that you personally stole the kegs tugger (although your immediately defensive attitude does suggest it). They know their kegs are in circulation on Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace etc and many people aren't aware before purchase that they are in fact buying stolen goods. Pull your head in.
Thanks EmptyB! I am definitely not threatening or intimidating anyone but I definitely do make a point of warning people about the possible legal repercussions of buying and selling what are considered "stolen kegs" whether they are Asahi's or any other brewery's. Like you said, a lot of people aren't aware that what they are doing is illegal and for the most part cooperate in returning the kegs once they are aware.

Asahi kegs are the property of Asahi Beverages. They're hard to open because you shouldn't be opening them and you're in possession of stolen goods. If you should find yourself in possession of these kegs, please return them to Asahi Beverages. You can contact me directly for assistance. [email protected]

Is there a reward for returning said stolen goods?

Asking for a friend.

Resurrecting this old zombie, sorry boys.

Have acquired a couple A§@¶! S - Type kegs, have the coupler and an opening tool.

Keg #1: Used the 5c coin trick to remove the spear quick sticks, am of two minds as to whether to cut the safety tab or not, have tried dismantling it with no luck, it looks different to others I've seen in this post. Thought and tips?

Keg #2: spear unscrewed, tried every denomination of coin incl combinations with the coupler but the bugger wont shift. I reckon there is a difference between the two, as the 5c got stuck fast and had to drill it out. Tried the screw driver method and I cant see sh¡t down that little gap. Should I just use this as flush and clean keg and move on to something easier?

Cheers, GT

based in Newcastle

Latest posts

Back