How To Open An Asahi Style 19l Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simmo152

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to open an asahi style 19L keg?

My CUB sanke coupler fits and I have released the pressure from the keg, but I'm not sure how to open it.

It looks as if a special tool engages the two barbs that the coupler locks onto to open. Does this sound right?

And which way does it turn? I assume the opposite of the coupler.

Some pics!

Cheers

Image060.jpg

Image061.jpg

Hi Phrak,

Thanks for the advice, however I already use 50 litre type D (American Sankey) kegs. Thats why I have a CUB style coupler so I know how to open them.

Sorry the pictures are crappy.

The 19L keg looks different, a CUB type D coupler fits and I was able to release the gas inside the keg but it definitly looks like a type S (European Sankey). The only difference is the spring loaded seal is lower than that of the type D.

Pics of different types http://ceisites.com/b2c.html

Usually on a type D one can grind back a notch to access the circlip to release the spear, this one does not have a circlip and it does not look like the whole spear simply unscrews like a Tooheys keg.

Anyone with suggestions would be greatly appreciated

A screwdriver and hammer to one of the barbs,knock it anticlock should unscrew but it may have a saftey catch on the spear you will need to engage the coupler to release the catch.BTW I dont think the cub will have a long enough centre to give an air tight seal

Cheers Deadly,

I'll give that a go tonight and do a test with water and the coupler to see if it's long enough to operate with the S type valve.

Could be a very handy party keg!

Hi Everyone,

I now have a Euro S style sankey coupler with the longer shank to open this keg.

However I am having trouble opening the spear for filling.

I am able to knock the spear barb with a screwdriver and hammer anticlockwise so it unscrews but then something internally is not letting it release to remove the spear.

I have tried attaching the S style coupler and I still can't open it. :unsure:

Does anyone have any experience with these kegs?

cant help but do you reckon theres anyways of doing a chop shop on them and putting in normal post mix keg attachments?

Put a $2 coin in the end of the coupler and connect it to the keg then engage the liquid out lever,the whole thing should unscrew.

Hi Deadly,

Thanks again on the advice. I will try that tonight.
If it works I will post a photo guide on how to open them for future reference.

Cheers mate
Simon

Hi Fents,

They probably could be modified but I think the hastle would be so much it would just be easier to buy em with with ball locks.

I already have a 50L sankey setup, and with addition of the european coupler I picked up from ebay for $30 I was hoping to intergrate the 19L kegs into my existing setup with minimal cost and for party kegs!

Cheers mate

Bumping an old thread.

Does anyone know how to open one of these? Its basically a type-S but there is no washer (as far as I can see). It all looks like 1 piece.

PM Doc. He is a top bloke, who im sure will be able to help.

I sold him one, Maybe we got it from the same ebay seller

I have a few, but they were opened permanently by someone else.

Dad made this for his kegs.
He clips the outer section to the post and then screws down the inner bit until the gas discharges and then uses a spanner to wind the whole thing out it's upside down the in photo

1410352904848.jpg

Robbo2234 said:
Dad made this for his kegs.
He clips the outer section to the post and then screws down the inner bit until the gas discharges and then uses a spanner to wind the whole thing out it's upside down the in photo
That's a sweet idea..... might have to knock something up at work....

As Deadly mentioned, a $2 coin does the trick. Release the gas pressure by pressing down on the centre of the spear, away from your face/eyes. Lie it on it's side first if you don't want beer dregs to come out. Unscrew the spear. There are some tangs that stop it being pulled all the way out. Place a $2 coin in the centre of the coupler, then attach a keg coupler. I've only seen a D type coupler used for this, however I assume (?) that an S type would work ok too? Attaching the coupler will screw the coupler/spear back in a bit, but once the coupler is attached properly the tangs get pushed back and the spear and then the coupler with attached spear can be unscrewed and removed easily.

Don't use a $2 coin - I found a small ball of masking tape works a charm and doesn't %$#* your coupler or the $2 coin. Just thought I'd add a couple of pics of my opening tool I knocked up. Makes things much easier :)

20141209_181938.jpg

20141209_182004.jpg

Latest posts

Back