how to get you yeast from finished fermenter to knew one

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcovanb

Reaction score
Just got a second hand setup last week and brewed a kit straight away into a no chill cube, a 20 liter water Jerry can. I fermented in the jerry can and used whit labs Belgian yeast. That is ready to go into a keg.

I also have another no chill jerry can that I did my first biab into. I want to use the yeast from the first fermenter in the second. Can I just get some slurry and pore it in? Any advice is appreciated. Regards nick

Have a search for

Rinsing yeast in pictures, great tutorial..

Or, just pour out a cup of slurry and bung it in... I prefer to rinse myself but is a bit more faffing about

Slurry works but tends to go pear shaped after a few re ferments. Mutation, dead stuff all get in the way.
Once is perfect, up to three - in my experience - can work well.

You can decant off some of the slurry into a sanitised container and leave a drop of the fermented beer on top to preserve it. You'll have more liquid than expected once it settles.
Put it in the fridge and it should settle out as a lighter layer.
You can then pour off the unwanted beer and swirl a remaining 1/2" or so to take the yeast layer into solution and either pitch this or decant and repeat for less trub and better pitching rate accuracy.

16927140734_c82201ea95_c.jpg

Back