How To Get Degrees Symbol

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianjthorpe

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,

Keyboard short cut for the degrees symbol is hold down "Alt" and type "0176" on the numerical keypad. You can't use the number keys above the alpha keys.

e.g. 18 "Alt" + "0176" C = 18C.

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

Think there's quite a few that aware of it, but I know my previous laptop didn't have a seperate alpha-num key pad, so wouldn't do the symbol. Btw; I've always used Alt + 0186

18C
18C

EDIT --- didn't work for me?? what am i doing wrong??

EDIT AGAIN

18C
o yes it works ... needed to use the side numbers .... If I had of read the OP correctly I would have realised that doh..

how about a mac with no side keys or a laptop pc?

G'day Brewers,

Found this at another forum:

For Apple users: alt-option and 0 (zero) or option-shift-8

As for those of you with PC laptops, if you have a "Fn" function key you maybe able to do the symbol if you turn on the "Num Lock" and then use the numerical keypad (usually these are keys with numbers in a different colour on letters like "j, k & l" for example). Let me know if this isn't clear, I'll put up a pic.

"Alt" + "0176" = ; "Alt" + "0186" = . So both look pretty good. B)

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

248 and 0176 are the same and are the correct degree symbol, 0186 is something different.

If you cant remember the code or whatever, and use windows, just got start -> run and type charmap, then you can copy the symbol from there.

And while we're on a topic that only a pedant would care about, when you're talking units measurement, there is no plural. 18 degree Celsius, not 18 degrees Celsius ;)

from this site

alt1 = ☺
alt2 = ☻
alt3 = ♥
alt4 = ♦
alt5 = ♣
alt6= ♠
alt7 = ◘
alt9 = ○
alt10 = ◙
alt11 = ♂
alt12 = ♀
alt13 = ♪
alt14 = ♫
alt15 = ☼
alt16 = ►
alt17 = ◄
alt 18 = ↕
alt19 = ‼ (closer together than !!)
alt20 =
alt21 =
alt22 = ▬
alt23 = ↨
alt24 = ↑
alt25 = ↓
alt26 = →
alt27 = ←
alt28 = ∟
alt29 = ↔
alt30 = ▲
alt31 = ▼
alt32 = (nothing)
alt33 = onward are boring except for the ones below and maybe others
alt222222222 / alt654 =
alt789456123 = √
alt963852741 = ┼
alt456123 = ╗
alt951 = ╖
alt951 =
alt987654321 = ▒

Sweeeet - I have a laptop but now that someone has posted this (with a degrees symbol) I can now return to this post and just cut&paste the degrees symbol :)

or any other symbol someone else has posted to this forum: ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ◘

who needs a number pad?

:)

ctrl c
ctrl v

:)

Linux FTW yet again - if you map the Menu key (who uses it anyway, or map it to any other key for that matter) to be a compose key you can enter various symbols without using irrelevant codes.

Details here.

For example, to get the degrees symbol in Windows I use ALT 248 = (as ThirstyBoy points out) but in my Linux setup I use COMPOSE oo = . Much easier to remember.

= COMPOSE +-, etc...

There may very well be a way to do this in Windows, but stuff that.

[Edit: lagered for clarification]

Latest posts

Back