How To Drink Coopers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rother

Reaction score
Well its been quite some time since I've drank coopers, and was down at the bottle shop today and decided to pick up a case of Coopers Pale (long necks - to help with my bottle collection). Last time i had Coopers, i just drank it out of the bottle. But since then, Ive come to realize that beer should be drank out of a glass... so now i always pour my beer into a glass.

Anywho... getting to my point. What should i do with my Coopers long necks? Do i roll the bottle to get the yest mixed into the beer before pouring into the glass? Or, do i leave it standing upright in the fridge for at least 24hrs before drinking so the yeast settles to the bottom, then pour slowly, leaving a small amount of beer in the bottle with the yeast?

What is the best way to enjoy this beer?

Cheers
Rother

leaving a small amount of beer in the bottle with the yeast?

That's how I drink them, and any other bottle conditioned beer.
Yeast can give you the runs hehehe

Are aware that you can reculture the yeast from the bottle.
It can save you bundle and you will get the actual yeast they make cooper with to put in your own CPA.

Here a link to how to Grumpys

matti ;)

Whatever turns you on :p

Sometimes when I drink a bottle conditioned beer I will poor the first glass off clear and then give the second glass a swirl in the bottle to pick up the sediment. Sometimes it helps the beer.

Kabooby :)

I am also building my bottle collection by buying cases of Coopers tallies.
As an aside I am paying $48 a case at BWS Penshurst, anyone know of a better price?
I use 600ml beer mugs (Fairfield Octoberfest glasses - prolly 10 years old) which I fill from the bottle which has been upright and fridge chilled.
I then scoff the rest from the bottle and wash it immediately for my collection.
I do clean then again before bottling. Got a Little Creatures clone going in the fermenter at present, Cheerz Wab.

drink it rolled

drink it cold

you can drink it young, or old

the truth is, its liquid gold

EDIT* i did make this up just then btw..

It's supposed "tradition"/"marketing ploy"/"talking point" to roll the bottles. Have one rolled, have one decanted, decide which one you like better.

Topic from late last year... Link

Some good advice there, thanks guys.

I might have to look into reusing some of that yeast in home brews... that sounds pretty cool.

isnt anyone gonna say oh wow good rhyme there snail..

btw yeast adds another flavour dimension to coopers.. specially the sparkling

I always go cloudy. If you want a bit more control you can always pour it without the yeast, give the bottle a of a swirl, and add some yeast to the glass. This is what you do when the bar guy doesn't stir up the bottle before they poor and you want it cloudy!

When you get Coopers on tap in Adelaide (my choice is the Exeter on Rundle Street) it is generally fresh and cloudy - the way god made it. I wouldn't stir up other yeasts in homebrews but the Coop's yeast just works.

Yep, you're a poet and you know it, alesnail.

I usually don't mix up the Coopers yeast. I usually stir up weizen yeast, but it depends on my mood I guess. As Adam said, try both and you decide.

When you get it on tap its cloudy (or it should be), the last few pints can get a bit sludge like but fans of the beer love that. Since i have drunk it on tap for many years i tip the bottles too. Guess its a personal choice thing.

Yeast can give you the runs hehehe
<_<
I have often drank whole boxes of coopers pale straight from the bottle in long all nite sessions and never found that problem.

As an aside I am paying $48 a case at BWS Penshurst, anyone know of a better price?
I use 600ml beer mugs (Fairfield Octoberfest glasses - prolly 10 years old) which I fill from the bottle which has been upright and fridge chilled.
I then scoff the rest from the bottle and wash it immediately for my collection.

Can be as cheap as 70 bucks for two cases over here :chug:

Thats the method i ussually use when drinking it proberly in a glass, ie not when I'am on a all niter and just slamming them down from the bottle.

I prefer It only with a slight haze but some pubs serve it when it looks like muddy water, I refuse to pay for that and ask for a different beer, of course the ussuall reply is that those pints are the best part of the keg :ph34r:

Anyway like most people are getting at is try it every which way, perfectly clear, a little haze and all the yeast. Depending how the bottles been kept and how old it is you can get some where the yeast has clumped together and you get actuall bits of yeast in the damn thing which isn't to great. Ussually it should be fairly dusty.

Anyway I think at the very least you should still beable to see through the glass not like the muddy water some pubs serve.

Jayse

I prefer It only with a slight haze but some pubs serve it when it looks like muddy water, I refuse to pay for that and ask for a different beer, of course the ussuall reply is that those pints are the best part of the keg :ph34r:

Jayse

I love the end of the keg pales so thick a spoon stands up. Mind you, the next day every belch tastes like vegemite which can be a little disturbing. No runs from it, i think the yiros (kebab) is more likely to cause them.......

Sometimes I decant clear into a glass and skull the remainder of the bottle, sometimes I finish half the glass and then top up with remainder of bottle, sometimes I just stick a stubby holder on the bottle and drink...all depends on the mood and how many stubbys ive consumed prior to experimenting. :chug:
Cheers
Steve

I was working as a chef at a place on Chapel Street, a couple of years ago. I popped out of the kitchen to grab a few beers for "beer batter" :D and found the local Coopers rep showing all of the floor/bar staff how to roll and pour a Coopers.

Them there kids were all like confused and flabbergasted with a, "huh, what roll, who?" :huh:

Funny stuff.. but yeah, the reps do push the roll gig.

reVox

I like to mix in the yeast from a Coopers sparkling but not from a Pale Ale.
I guess it's all personal taste, but I find a sparkling tastes better with the yeast mixed in whereas the bitterness of the Pale Ale overpowers any yeast flavour.

When I mix in the yeast from a sparkling, I pour out 2 glasses at a time. When there is just a little beer left in the bottle, I swirl it around picking up the yeast sediment and then add this to each of the glasses making each of them nice and cloudy.

I believe Dan Murphy's have a national pricing scheme and will sell a case of longies for $39.95. They do in Geelong..... Have also picked up Coopers pale for $35 at Safeway when on special.

the last few pints can get a bit sludge like but fans of the beer love that.

Me to I love it. But the reason for all the sludge is because the keg itself should be rolled at the start of every day so it mixes. There has been many a time I have gone into a pub and the beer has been clear. IMHO Pale Ale should consumed with the haze. If I get served a glass of Pale that is clear it goes straight back. I am not paying $3.70 + and not getting what I want :beerbang: . My opinion may cause much discussion but everyone to their own. If you want clear beer go and drink VB and the likes. :D

BYB

I like to mix in the yeast from a Coopers sparkling but not from a Pale Ale.
I guess it's all personal taste, but I find a sparkling tastes better with the yeast mixed in whereas the bitterness of the Pale Ale overpowers any yeast flavour.

When I mix in the yeast from a sparkling, I pour out 2 glasses at a time. When there is just a little beer left in the bottle, I swirl it around picking up the yeast sediment and then add this to each of the glasses making each of them nice and cloudy.

I believe Dan Murphy's have a national pricing scheme and will sell a case of longies for $39.95. They do in Geelong..... Have also picked up Coopers pale for $35 at Safeway when on special.

do you mean 24x750ml bottles for that price?

cos i can hardly find a carton of stubbies for under $40 up here

I always serve my Coopers - red, green and yellow, with the yeast as it does add flavour and is the way it is meant to be. I dont enjoy the beer as much without the yeast mixed through probably from years of drinking it that way. To me it is the only way to drink it.

Back