How Much Sugar For Secondary Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugene

Reaction score
This is My first "Dark Beer" I have doen and am unsure of the level of carbonation I should use, I dont normally drink dark beer, but have decided to try all the different beers I can, see what I like and go from there.

Here is what I have done so far:

Morgans Australian Old kit

Morgans yeast

1KG of Muntons Amber Malt (dry)

400gr of Dextrose (I dont know why, it seemd like a good idea)

SG at start was 1.045

Ferment at 24-25 deg c for 4 days

Racked SG at racking was 1.016-1.017

Been raked now fro 7 days

SG is now on 1.012-1.013

I was thinking of racking again for another week to ensure it is finished, this batch went crazy, for the first three days it didnt stop bubbling, it had foam coming out the airlock, there was gunge 1/4" thick inside the lid when I racked, it has settled down now but I dont want to go and bottle too early and spoil a good beer.

I will be bulk priming, then into OLD crown seal glass 750ml bottles.

Should I rack again and give it another week?

Should I just wait a few more days and see where the SG ends Up?

How much Suger for a dark beer, are they seved with lots of bubbles or almost flat?

Sorry for all the questions, but I dont wand glass grenades and I dont want to ruin my beer either.

It smeels and tastes great, really rich creamy feel, you can smell the malt, I cant wait to try some, in a month or so. :(

Thanks

Don't rack it again. Just leave it be for a week or so, longer if you like then bottle. I like low carbonation in Old clones. About 5-6g of dextrose per litre should be OK.

Dont bother racking again. Id leave it another couple of days. Take a couple of readings over two days. If they are the same bulk prime and bottle. I'd be bulk priming with 120 gms plain white sugar or brown sugar dissolved in 250-300gms boiling water (im assuming its about 21-22 litres?)
Cheers
Steve

Well, I bottled the old today, I ended up gving it 15 days in the second fermentor (rack?), SG sat steady for 2 days at 1.010.

There was just over 23lts, knowing I loose about 500-600ml on the prime transfer, I worked it out on 22.5 Lts.

I ended up using Dextrose, I didnt have brown sugar, and cant see why I would use "normal" sugar to prime with if it isnt good enough to brew with.

Anyhow, 140gr of dex in 250ml boiling water,, all seemed to go well, I have it stored now at 22 deg C, ended up with 29 largies (some old crown seals, some new).

Now the wait begins, luckily I have 300 od other Largies ready to go in the fridge, Gotta love a big fridge.

Thanks to all who replied, I will let you know what happen in a month or so

Back