How much Starsan is too much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveski

Reaction score
I seem to have had a mishap. I'd noticed people in brewing videos using starsan in airlocks, seemed like a good idea so I tried it. Was really careful to not use too much in the new Plaato I've just received (around 50ml) but at one point there was a jolt as I reseated my screwtop fermenter lid. I've come back after about an hour and noticed the airlock is empty and the top of the fermenter isn't wet so it must have splashed back into the wort! So it's a 21.5L batch that now has 50ml of starsan (mixed with water which I took from my spray bottle)...Is that going to spoil or make the beer too toxic?
I'm seriously concerned that my brew day has gone to waste over a dopey mistake.

Geez I thought those things would have had some sort of valve to prevent that - guess not.

I doubt 50ml of Starsan solution would be in any way noticeable in a 20 plus litre batch and certainly not toxic. It's designed as a no rinse sanitizer after all.
It's mostly Phosphoric acid too which some add in the brewing process to adjust pH.

So I wouldn't worry about it.

Geez I thought those things would have had some sort of valve to prevent that - guess not.

I doubt 50ml of Starsan solution would be in any way noticeable in a 20 plus litre batch and certainly not toxic. It's designed as a no rinse sanitizer after all.
It's mostly Phosphoric acid too which some add in the brewing process to adjust pH.

So I wouldn't worry about it.

x2. If you've diluted it according to instructions, you have nothing to worry about.

Hey Steveski, I once had a blow off tube higher than my fermenter and long story short I siphoned in about 200ml of Starsan solution.

Didn’t hurt the beer in the end but I felt like a bloody fool :)

Use boiled water instead of starsan. You dont get that foaming stuff, which I reckon might cause the airlock to dry out.

Latest posts

Back