How Much Gas Do You Get From Your 6kg Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbidese

Reaction score
Hi All,

Newish to kegging and have just found my first gas bottle empty.
Its a 6kg bottle.
I did about 5 cornies, carbonating a dispensing.
It lasted about 6 months.

Both cornies appear to hold gas.
When installed i used brand new lines and clamps.
A second hand regulator.

I checked all connections, seals, posts, etc with soapy water and can't find any leaks.

How does this sound to you guys?
6 Months sounds a little low after speaking to a few mates with kegging setups.

Cheers,

Simon

That is way low.
I use 10 kilo bottles that last just under a year (barring a leak which has happened more than once)
but I gas and dispense about 130 to 140 kegs in that time.

Cheers,
bud

About 300gr of gas to the keg so say 18 to 20 kegs. Sounds like a slow leak somewhere? Soapy water and spray bottle. Spray on the connection and watch for bubbles. Check everywhere there is a connection starting at the bottle all the way to the kegs, including the lids, QD's everything. Take your time and maybe crank the pressure up to twice normal to promote the leak. If you don't find it halve the normal pressure as the higher pressure might also force a seal and the leak could aslo be present at lower pressures.

EDIT: Good luck!

Sounds pretty low. I get over a year at about a keg a fortnight, as well as euthenasing the odd captured mouse.

Sounds like there is a leak somewhere or the bottle wasn't filled properly.

Weigh the bottle before you get it filled then again afterwards and see just how much gas they put in.

I got around 14 months from my 6.8Kg bottle and a hell of a lot more than 6 cornies worth from it. Can't remember exactly how many but I reckon it would have been on the order of around 25 or so. I'd have to look back over my records to figure out exactly how many.

gary

Simon,

Time to open that wallet up of yours (yes, sheild your eyes from the moths) and replace that crappy mystery single gauge regulator you have with a real regulator!!!!!

We know it has leaked in the past, so bin it!!!

:icon_cheers: SJ

Simon,

Time to open that wallet up of yours (yes, sheild your eyes from the moths) and replace that crappy mystery single gauge regulator you have with a real regulator!!!!!

We know it has leaked in the past, so bin it!!!

So that's the story, eh? OK, it is clear now.

as well as euthenasing the odd captured mouse.

Save CO2, get a cat! :p

+1 for Chappo's suggestion.

Check your pressure relief valves in particular along with keg QD posts. I had a slow leak in one of my keg pressure relief valves recently.

If in doubt turn off gas at the bottle when not pouring beers.

So that's the story, eh? OK, it is clear now.

Yeah, I've known Simon for a long time now (went to school together, now brew together), and this reg came from a free box of mystery bits and pieces and has had the odd issue in the past.

Yeah, I've known Simon for a long time now (went to school together, now brew together), and this reg came from a free box of mystery bits and pieces and has had the odd issue in the past.

Ooooo mystery bits... Like a meccano set
Sooo Simon is a tightwad huh SJ?

Sooo Simon wanna reveal one of SJ's dirty little secrets? (hehehe I love an OT)

I've averaged about 100g of gas per keg. Allow another 50g for cleaning the lines every few months.

QldKev

Turn it up Jimbo, nothing wrong with the reg i checked it for leaks with soapy water!!!!!

Ooooo mystery bits... Like a meccano set
Sooo Simon is a tightwad huh SJ?

Sooo Simon wanna reveal one of SJ's dirty little secrets? (hehehe I love an OT)

he's all talk and no action!!!

he thought his supra was top sh*t, thank God he sold it

If everything else checks out ok, check the washer between the reg and the valve on the bottle. I had a slow leak and put the whole system in the pool and gassed it up with no sign of a leak. The problem was between the reg and valve.

Steve

I justed wanted to add a word of thanks for all the responses so far (apart from Supra-Jim), Its appreciated

If everything else checks out ok, check the washer between the reg and the valve on the bottle. I had a slow leak and put the whole system in the pool and gassed it up with no sign of a leak. The problem was between the reg and valve.

Steve

And failing that - check the valve where it screws into the bottle.

I had a leak there and it cost me 3 refills to finally find it - bottles were lasting about 2 months - very slow leak.

RM

Well we can't all drive Hyundai Excels with big rear wings and cold induction.

BTW, I'll remember that Supra dig next one of your beers is fermenting in my fridge, how does 28degC sound?

And Chappo, I've lots of dirty little secrets. Unfortunately Simon knows I know a few of his too, so don't expect too much dirt!!

Back on topic, the leaks may be coming from one of the kegs, but i have always been a bit suss on the regulator.

Guys,

Thanks for you help...i found the leak.

I used the pool trick....i pulled the system apart...went around to the folks place...dropped the rig in the pool...and bingo found the bubbles straight away.

Shamefully...when i rushed to do the install at home....i forgot to use teflon/plumping tape on one of the regular threads...it was on the gas line out side of the regular.
My regulator has a threaded out sleeve that pinched on an "olive" to form a seal.
There was a very small leak from the thread.
A couple of layers of plumbing tape...problem solved.

Funny enough i found a second leak...from the GAS bottle main tap.
It leaks when partly open but seals when fulled opened.

Cheers

Simon

Back