How Much Chocolate Malt Is Too Much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerben

Reaction score
Had a brew session with mates on the weekend intending to make Smurto's Landlord using Wyeast ringwood.

Somewhere along the line we appear to have ended up with 10x the amount of chocolate malt required (and possibly 1/10th of the Munich). Didn't notice until it was in the mash tun and wet. Anyone have experience with this kind of quantity of chocolate malt and what our likely results will be? I am guessing the grain bill ended up (assuming it was just a decimal point mistake):

45L batch
8kg Maris Otter
100g or 1kg Munich - not sure.
1kg Chocolate Malt

Not exactly stout weather ahead, but will be interesting!

Edit: Spelling

I reckon considering it's a double batch you'll get away with it, I wouldn't consider 500g in a normal batch over the top, a fair bit yes, but not crazy town.

I saw the 1kg choc malt and was like HOLY SH but then I realised it was a 45L batch. I'd be interested to try it out.

I think it will be more like a brown porter than a stout.

I've used 500g of choc malt in a brown porter (20L) and turned out very nice.

All 3 hops are fine in a porter and I use ringwood in most of my porters.

Might just have a tad more hop aroma than is 'normal' but might make it a tad easier to drink in the warmer weather.

Looks interesting, that'll age nicely. Should be a good drop for those cold nights if theres any left come winter.

Don't worry about it - boingk

Since you are looking at around 10-12% of your grist being Chocolate malt i'd say you are in pretty safe territory. Sort of porter like as Smurto has pointed out. I'd be shocked if its stout like as choc malt isnt heavily acrid in flavour.

Should be an interesting beer.

Thanks for the feedback guys... Can't wait to try it now....

Since you are looking at around 10-12% of your grist being Chocolate malt i'd say you are in pretty safe territory. Sort of porter like as Smurto has pointed out. I'd be shocked if its stout like as choc malt isnt heavily acrid in flavour.

Should be an interesting beer.

Back