How Many Bad Brews Have You Made?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently have one 'not great' beer in a keg (its not terrible.. but I am not really a fan) that is lasting forever as I currently have 2 kegs dispensing and hardly ever drink it.. but it isnt bad enough to tip :/

I also recall buying a new set of scales that went up in .01g increments from evilbay...

Turned it on, And i now realise the measurement GN, is NOT grams :( Reading up, it is a measurement of FORCE... That cant be right?

Meh, very bland... Scales now being used correctly, Perfect :)

It all comes down to a learning curve.
I'm up to brew 70 at this stage.

I've had about 9 which were not total successes:
1. K&K Lager fermented at 28C - you can work out what was wrong with it
2. An experimental all LDME with POR flowers and recultured Coopers yeast. Horrible, but drank it through gritted teeth to teach myself a lesson
3. One of my first AG brews took <6 months to mature but was then just OK
4. An APA which never lost its grassiness from the hops used
5. My first AG lager had DMS and fermentation issues which I never really resolved
6. This was an OK brew, but there were lots of infected bottles (not the whole brew)
7. An all Challenger brew, which just didn't really work, lacking maltiness and hoppiness
8. A Boddington clone, which was just drinkable, but is on my list of never to be repeated

Now, that's only 9 brews out of 70 which had issues. There haven't been any with issues since about brew 40 so, as I said, it's a learning curve.
My brewing now happens almost on auto-pilot, my efficiency is always in the 90% range so is stable, and I'm happy with all of my brews since about brew 40. My brews also get sampled by another AHB member, and generally have his support.

Hang in there, learn from all your brews which don't work, and fix the issues or problems as you identify them, and you'll eventually churn out good brew after good brew.
Don't give up, you'll get there. Ultimately, it's a rewarding hobby when you can present a beer you brewed to a guest, and have them enthuse about how good it is. Failing that, it's a good feeling to contemplate how good a brew you are drinking in the quietude of your man escape room, knowing it's all your own work from scratch. I'm having that feeling right now as I imbibe a delicious American Amber Ale.

I think the thing is to remember to keep going.
I guess if I haddnt invested as much money as I had before I even started brewing I would have given up.

I started brewing this year and Ive had my share of faults. Never having brewed before I started seven months ago with Gluten Free Extract brewing. A dark art in itself and as I started to crawl my beers were ok, motivated by stupidity I started to run and fell over a bit.

1st Beer GF Pale Ale from a kit Not bad

2nd beer GF Orange and Corriander Hefe Great (one of the best)

3rd beer Hallertuer hopped Pale unimpressive but drinkable

4th beer A mix of styles fermented with T-58 First failure (I threw this out)

5th Beer An attempt to improve the first Good, better than the 1st attempt

6th Beer GF Blonde Great, smashed it in record time

7th Beer GF Honey Ale Not bad

8th Beer GF Centennial IPA Loved it, doing again soon

9th Beer GF Blonde again Fucked it up by not putting in enough hops for bittering, way too sweet

10th Beer GF Delirium Tremens clone Dont know how I feel about this one, unless it magically changes I wouldnt bother again.

11th Beer Another crack at the GF Blonde, see how I go this time.

What I've learnt* Listen to the wife* Don't think you can make up recipes with no knowledge or experience* Read lots about brewing* As a newbie, stick to proven recipes, or close to them* Sorghum syrup and T-58 don't get along These days I stick to proven recipes or slightly modified versions of proven recipes. Seems to be working, but that doesnt stop me from formulating a Citra only IPA and Raspberry non-wheat wheat beer. Got to dream a little.....

I'm up to brew 15, of which I would say 1 was totally undrinkable (brew #1), and 2 were average at best. Brew 8 was the turning point of good to great.

What I did was buy enough ingredients to do the same recipe over and over. It was Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, but you pick whatever you like. Then just brew that one recipe until you get your process sorted. Yes it will be boring drinking the same beer over and over but at least you rule out ingredients and beer style as a contributing factor to why things don't turn out so well. Get your processes sorted before embarking on many different and comples beers. You will also see how different processes (i.e late hopping, over bittering, no chill) have an effect on taste.

Work out your process, get to know your equipment and then the flavour will improve considerably. By chopping and changing recipes, you don't know if it was your process, equipment, recipe or ingredients which failed.

None, cause I'm F'ing awesome.

ok, or or two maybe

QldKev

I started making kit and kilos in the late eighties. They were all shocking - and me and mates drank every last drop. I once caught a flatmate stiring the fermenter ... with his arm.

Over the years my beer has improved. But "bad brew" becomes a relative term. What I always have to stop myself doing these days is "inventing something awesome!". ATM I'm drinking an Ale made with Boh Pils grain and 30 IBUs of Amarillo at 15 minutes. It's got no brewing faults - but it's a weird drop. The sharpness of the grain and the amarillo's citrus notes are bizarre. Won't make it again, but it's not a K&K fermented at 30C with 2kg of sugar.

So yeah, it's a bad brew. In usual style I'll probably absolutely love it, right when there's only one litre left in the keg.

About twenty brews. Two definite infections.
Dark ale racked on cherries - so so sour, not due to cherries. You could smell the sour, gag reflex.

Choc stout racked onto coffee beans. Maybe not infection but full on odd flavor.

I don't racked stuff anymore.

No chill. Don't aroma hop then no chill. Just do 60 minute addition. Do aroma hop with a few litres of chilled wort prior to pitching the brew. Argons method I think.

I have and some bad ones, but I have also had some good ones that made me go "Shit I made that in my backyard"

been brewing for about 2.5 years now ~50 brews my first 6 k&k were terrible
was brewing lagers @ 25+ deg etc and force carbing + drinking as soon as primary was over
first started temp control and they got better much better
second yeast management stir plate etc better again
third (really at same time as 2nd) started BIAB.
my first biab was terrible so i got my mates to drink it :p
after that it was all up hill.

since then 2 beers i wont try again
raspberry wheat beer (did a double batch and split half with the berries, the wheat on its own)
cream ale - i doubt its my taste or i royally stuffed it up

infection wise i cant say i have had one, some k&k's were rotten but i think that was temperatures, i had a starter left it covered etc and postponed brewing for a few days and was glad i did as the starter had a nice white film on the top of it, just smacked a pack that i was saving for a diff beer seriously under pitched but tasted great

i must admit this forum is a wealth of information and has helped alot

I once caught a flatmate stiring the fermenter ... with his arm.

:lol:

I've made a number of average beers in my time. Particularly the early Kit and Kilos, fermenting at 25degC with 1kg of Raw Sugar.
At the time I was after cheap alcohol so it still did the job... somewhat.

Certainly nothing to show the friends; although hindsight taught me that!

These days all beers are at the very least ok beers

Out of my 40+ brews I recon around 5 where tip-able and I think all where. You can just put it down to bettering your understanding of the effects certain decisions have. If you can learn from it then in most cases its a worthwhile mistake in the long run.

30+ brews, more if you include the double batches i do now. Had two disasters, one infection and one chinese hop stuff up. Plus a few below average beers but none that I chucked.

Other than that beers has been average to great. Moving to BIAB, temp control, understanding no-chill and getting used to my brew process before freakin changing it again. Also brewing a new style for the first time can produce average beer.

Also i think my expectations have gone up now and i expect to brew great beer each time. I'll be drinking a beer thinking yeah this is average but other people say its quality (and these people like hanging shit).

Stick at it and improve the mistakes you know.

I'm up to brew 15, of which I would say 1 was totally undrinkable (brew #1), and 2 were average at best. Brew 8 was the turning point of good to great.

What I did was buy enough ingredients to do the same recipe over and over. It was Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, but you pick whatever you like. Then just brew that one recipe until you get your process sorted. Yes it will be boring drinking the same beer over and over but at least you rule out ingredients and beer style as a contributing factor to why things don't turn out so well. Get your processes sorted before embarking on many different and comples beers. You will also see how different processes (i.e late hopping, over bittering, no chill) have an effect on taste.

Work out your process, get to know your equipment and then the flavour will improve considerably. By chopping and changing recipes, you don't know if it was your process, equipment, recipe or ingredients which failed.

Good advice there tavas ...
Cheers
BBB

It's nice to know not everyone else out there is brewing perfect beers every time. It's def a hobby that needs strong will, as when you do one thing out of place it can ruins hours and hours of work. But I'm persisting and already planning the next brew! I think I have just about everything under control now, and have my immersion chiller back online, so will be chilling my brews to under 70c, then chucking them in the cube for the night/week. This should fix up my bitterness issues, I hope :)

I think I have just about everything under control now, and have my immersion chiller back online, so will be chilling my brews to under 70c, then chucking them in the cube for the night/week. This should fix up my bitterness issues, I hope :)

It will most likely fix your "bitterness issues" but could lead to others. The whole idea behind no chilling is not to chill at all. You run hot wort straight into the cube, squeeze out as much air as possible and cap, then leave to cool naturally.
The other method is to chill right down to pitching temp, run the wort into the fermenter and pitch your yeast.
What you are proposing to do is a seldom used "sorta-kinda half-arsed chill" method. It's the heat that kills off the nasties in the remaining air inside your cube, so why would you chill it down to below effective heat, but not low enough to pitch?

I've been guilty a few times of having a keg of supurb sitting in the laundry and an average one sitting in the fridge ... and they happen to get swapped. Both get drunk in the end though.

Thing I've always noticed is that your palate can become accustomed to a beer, such that it's often wrongly diagnosed as "aging". What used to be too bitter is suddenly about right; what used to have too much fruit is now just right; that slight astringency has "faded". Is this conditioning ... or is our tongue doing the "conditioning"?

Back