How Long Does Beer Last In A Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A man with a filter knows only to well how to put the final touch to his craft. If you never never go you will never never know.

;)

..or strip out the final touches, whichever way you want to think about it! :unsure:

filtering to me is a bit like playing poker with cowboys....you have to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away....and i can't remember the next line. :blink:

point being, grade of filter, beer style, and reason for filtering (factored in with changes to flavour vs clarity) need to be considered as a whole. 2c

..or strip out the final touches, whichever way you want to think about it! :unsure:
Sorry Jayse I couldn't disagree with you more unless you like HB in its raw state. I won't argue with anyone who doesn't mind drinking beer with yeast in it if that's their thing go for it, and many breweries produce a range of naturally carb'd beers to cater for that market .......it just aint or me, however I draw the line at pasteurization.

:)

I've got a couple of full kegs waiting their turn. I don't filter (yet) so when I rack the beer into the kegs I add a smallish amount of sugar solution (about 60g sugar, boiled of course) and carbonate the keg like a huge bottle. Then after a few days I burp the keg (pull on the wee lever at the top so that the CO2 hisses out) and burp again after a few more days which should have flushed most if not all of the oxygen in the headspace, then just leave the kegs sitting till it's time.

Some brewers take the kegs to the kegerator and attach a gas line to the gas-in post of the keg and burp it a couple of times, flushing any oxygen, then store the kegs till ready, but my kegerator is in the lounge room and the kegs are in the garage and I'm a lazy sod :lol:

Currently I have 4 kegs and go through them fairly steadily but I'm shortly doing another 4 keg bulk buy so I'll end up with some beers sitting for a month or two as well.

Bribie sorry to drag your post back up but im curious as to y you dont just let the CO2 carb your beer up while your at it instead of burping
Save you a couple of bucks here and there on Gas wouldnt it?

Tom

point being, grade of filter, beer style, and reason for filtering (factored in with changes to flavour vs clarity) need to be considered as a whole. 2c

i dont filter but i am not against it (very convenient if you need a beer bright asap. e.g. a party.

Im happy to let mine CC for a week or so, or even age outside of the fridge if need be then transfer to a secondary keg under C02. Zwickel method! a marginal waste of CO2 (equalise the kegs) but it pulls star bright beers every time and no worrying about bumping the keg.

Bribie sorry to drag your post back up but im curious as to y you dont just let the CO2 carb your beer up while your at it instead of burping
Save you a couple of bucks here and there on Gas wouldnt it?

Tom

Tom.
To flush the headspace free of air, to replace it with just co2

I've been putting a new keg fridge together after years of travel, and I've just now sampled beer from kegs I put away in storage in 2006.

Keg 1 - a Toohey's Old - style dark ale that was mellow to start with so can't say if much hoppiness was lost

Keg 2 - a Hefeweizen, again, low on hop bitterness

Both have survived the intervening years very well! :icon_cheers:

Did the Hefe still taste like a hefe? My experience has seen them decline in flavour quite a bit after not even 6 months...

[quote name='O'Henry' post='521222' date='Sep 15 2009, 09:01 PM']Did the Hefe still taste like a hefe? My experience has seen them decline in flavour quite a bit after not even 6 months...[/quote]

Hey O'Henry
And you tasted a bottle of my wheatie batch that was 'lost' then rediscovered years later.
Tasted like port.
Not all beers appreciate ageing.

Oh yeah, that was an experience. I had completely forgotten about it. Not infected or anything, just severly funky, and indeed very port-like.

WB: Did you find any strange flavours in the keg of hefe? Was it kit/extract/AG?

It doesnt last long around here.

Seriously , I think Wobblyboots 3yr old kegs give the answer

necro bump

Had my first beer go south in the keg yesterday :eek:
It was a Nelson/B Saaz (Motueka) APA that I kegged back in July 2012.

It was a good'un, nice fruity/malty things. Hop profile obviously changed over time but still tasted great right up to xmas.
But then over the last week it suddenly just developed severe vegetable tastes, became undrinkable, zero hops, only corn/cabbage/unpleasantness.

Given how great the beer was before, and how sudden this flavour change was, I figure it just went stale in the end?

Jesus and the Angels be praised, it was only 3-4 litres. Tipped it last night. Only mention as it's the first beer I've had go off in the keg.

Back