How Do I Purge A 50l Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrg0

Reaction score
Hi all keg brewers,

I am new to keg brewing and have just started tasting my first effort with a fair bit of pride in how it turned out. I am using the standard 19L cornelius keg but have a 50l keg which I plan to upgrade to once I am happy with my techniques. However I am wondering how I go about purging the 50l. Unlike the corny keg which has a pressure relief valve in the lid for purging, the stainless steel coupling on the 50l doesn't have one. It is an ex pub one. Therfore I was wondering if the following procedure would do the job.
1. Once I have filled the keg ( I have made up a tool to remove the spear) I was planning on gassing the keg with say 40psi of gas.
2. Release the lever on the coupling leaving the 40psi in the keg.
3. Then release the gas line from the coupling.
4. Then slowly lower the handle on the coupling which allows the gas (and air) to slowly escape from the keg until all the air is purged.
It may be required to do this 2 or 3 times but it seems to me that I would achieve the same results as the corny keg.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Greg.

I brew to between 52 and 54 liters for a batch. That way once you loosa a bit to hydromiters, tastin, rtacking, filtering ect...... the keg fills to the top.

I leave no air space and if i do........... i have a tap and hose atached from the regulated side of my gas bottle. I just pump some gas in to push the air out and bobs your uncle.

Also........ the "ross" method of shaking the keg to carb it will hurt your back so i attach a non return vavle to the gas and force carb at 250KPA for 2 days form cold or 3 days from warm into the fridge, through the beer out fitting. Thios way the gas bubbles up from the bottom and seems to stir the carbonation in evenly.

hope that helps a bit.

cheers

Back