Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khrustybrand

Reaction score
Gday all,

I have just a quick question to ask. I have searched through the forum, and couldnt really find an answer, so i thought I would post the question.

My problem is this. I have had a Hops bag break in the fermenter, and now there are little bits of hops pellets all through the brew. I noticed this when testing the Gravity of the brew.

Will I need to filter (which I am not too keen on) or will it just clear when I bottle it, and settle to the bottom with all the yeast etc. ?

I am not too worried about how 'clear' the beer is, just wondering if this will adverseley affect the taste.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It wont make any difference to your brew, if anything it may improve it as the hops can mix more with the beer/wort.

I would let it settle prior in the fermentor (maybe give it a quick whirlpool first) prior to bottling/kegging.

You have essentially just dry hopped in the keg, without a hop sock.

it will all just settle on the bottom with the rest of the crap aka trub (combination of yeast, proteins and other crap). So no worries.

I assume you were dry hopping? some people throw the hops directly into the fermentor when dry hoping and then just wait for it to drop out of the beer.

no issues. brew on!

edit: beaten

IMHO it should settle to the bottom of the fermentor, maybe give it a few extra days after fermentation is complete for it to clear.

Any that gets to the bottle will settle out after a couple of weeks. Wouldn't worry about filtering

Cheers

Stu

edit: beaten twice

As mentioned, you'll be fine. i quite often dry hop with just pellets thrown straight into the fermenter, no tea bag at all. These break up and sink to the bottom after a few days and it's all good!

Cheers SJ

I suspected as much. Its just with these things, I guess I am a bit like an overprotective parent, being only relatively new to home brewing (just over 18 months).

Thanks guys.

I usually leave the brew in th formenter for awhile anyway, and I TRY (which is hard believe me) to let it sit in the bottle for a few months.
The first batch I ever made, I kept one (which was over 12 months maturing) for my wedding.... No prizes for guessing how good it tasted...... And I have two others sitting snuggly away for when my two kids are born (which havent even been concieved yet).
So they will be above and beyond.

Thanks again guys, I never expected responses so quick.

Back