Hops Quickie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz2332

Reaction score
Recipe im thinking is as follow

COOPERS INTERNATIONAL Mexican Cerveza
Coppers Brew enhancer 2
500g dex
Glacier 30g 15mins boil
Glacier 15g at 5 mins
US05
Done to 23ltrs

the question is do i boil in 4 ltrs of water? would you recommened more or less?
Or any advice on the recipe?

thanks

Recipe im thinking is as follow

COOPERS INTERNATIONAL Mexican Cerveza
Coppers Brew enhancer 2
500g dex
Glacier 30g 15mins boil
Glacier 15g at 5 mins
US05
Done to 23ltrs

the question is do i boil in 4 ltrs of water? would you recommened more or less?
Or any advice on the recipe?

thanks

4 litres is OK, but some say you may not get the most from your hops.
Make sure you chuck in about 400g of that brew enhancer there ( or 1/3 of the goo) at least so your not boiling the hops in straight water. Or if you want to be finnicky, boil in at 10L of 1040 gravity wort.

whats the go with not boiling the hops in just straight water?
Whats wrong with doing that?

ahh ok cheers mate!

Downloaded that spreed sheet and wow thats impressive!!

ahh ok cheers mate!

Downloaded that spreed sheet and wow thats impressive!!

Its a great tool to see what you are making, expected gravities, style guidelines,

I cant figure out the inventories, recipies part, i think mines bjorked, but I dont use it for that - I got my brewbook at home :)

I cant figure out the inventories, recipies part, i think mines bjorked, but I dont use it for that - I got my brewbook at home :)

I assume your refering to the buttons at the bottom not working? It's a default setting you need to change in excel.
Solution (detailed somewhere in the spreadsheet thread) is:
1) When spreadsheet is open, press ALT+F11 to open Visual basic Editor
2) Goto Tools Menu - > References
3) Make sure IAS Helper COM Component 1.0 Type Library is ticked and press OK.
Buttons will now work.

hmm buttons still dont work - sends me to VB and ask to debug..
Its Ok I dont use that part of it anyway.

Cheers

JD

whats the go with not boiling the hops in just straight water?
Whats wrong with doing that?

My understanding is that the lower the gravity, the higher the utilisation.

However a wort that is too low in gravity (or just water) may extract harsh compounds that are undesirable. If the gravity is too high, utilisation suffers. A wort between 1030 and 1050 should be a pretty safe compromise - volume doesn't really matter if the gravity is right although obviously final volume must be taken into consideration. What I mean is you will get x IBU from 4L@ 1060 and x+b IBU@ 1040. x+b IBU in 4 L will be diluted if you add 15 L of plain water (seems obvious but easily missed) to make up the batch.

100g of malt extract in 1 L water should give a gravity of ~1040. Being late additions to a pre-bittered kit, it may not be such a worry in this circumstance but good to know for when/if you do a brew that requires your own bittering additions.

Latest posts

Back