Hopped Coffee

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supra-Jim

Reaction score
This has probably been done before (searching just gives reference to coffee additions to beers) but the other day while enjoying my morning brew (coffee) I caught a waft of hop aroma and the idea of a hopped coffee popped into my head. Anyway I've just had a crack and the result is not too unpleasant.

I prepared a stovetop espresso jigger as per normal and added about 6-7 centennial pellets, and pushed them into the coffee grounds and threw it on the stove as normal. i'm now sitting here with a short black and a latte both with a very interesting centennial hop flavour and aroma.

The short black is probably more pronounced with the hop flavour, but the latte isn't too bad either. The mouth feel of the SB is slightly more resiny, but the latte is normal.

Anyone else so hopelessly addicted to hops considered or tried anything like this?

Cheers SJ

mmmmm, you have me intrigued.......

I'll make a point of have a cascade coffee in the morning.

I'm actually enjoying the latte more now. It rounds out the flavour a little better than the SB. More flavour than aroma.

Definitely worth the 5mins worth of experimentation.

Cheers SJ

haha this thread is bonkers. ill try it tomorrow.

Wow.... what a fantastic idea. Thanks for the inspiration.

Going to try an Armaccino or maybe a Lipton-Citra tomorrow morning I think :super:

OK maybe some EKG in a short black tomorrow morning.
:rolleyes:

I reckon a noble hop would be the go - will chuck some spalt flowers in the percolator tomorrow ;)

ok, so i chucked half a pellet of northern brewer into my group head this morning with some hot lava java.. and not half bad actually. the woody tones came through, not much of the aroma that i could tell so early in the morning, but it didnt make it worse. i think it would be a great idea for a brew pub looking to differentiate itself from the run of the mill places. ill experiment a little more, but i dont think it will become an "everyday" thing. nice idea tho! :D

Just had an 'Amarilloccino'...crushed up a pellet of Amarillo into the espresso machine.

Not a huge difference...but as mentioned it's pretty good.

Might try more hops tomorrow! Maybe I'll pre-hop the water for the machine!

Just had an 'Amarilloccino'...crushed up a pellet of Amarillo into the espresso machine.

Not a huge difference...but as mentioned it's pretty good.

Might try more hops tomorrow! Maybe I'll pre-hop the water for the machine!

I had an Armaccino a few days ago and again the day after and I thought it was quite nice.
I have a machine that does everything for me except heat the milk. Therefore, I heated the milk to 70C and put in 5 Amarillo pellets and kept the milk at 70C for 10 minutes.
Give the milk a good stir then added it to the expresso.... mmmmmm

I prepared a stovetop espresso jigger
Sorry to wander OT momentarily but I've got a question about these things. I don't drink coffee so if the answer is obvious please forgive me but could one of these things be used to make a hop tea (you know, for beer)? Every time I've tried with a french press the mesh just binds up on me and won't push down.

@ Bum, "you noodle armed choir boy!"

Back on topic, I can't see why not Bum. You might need to crush your pellets up so that when the water is pushed through the pellets (instead of ground coffee) it passes through the pellets rather than around them (path of least resistance).

The only issue might be 'residence time' of the water in contact with the hops. In a french press you can control how long the hops are infusing for, but in a 'stovetop espresseo jigger' the water passes through the hops once, quite quickly.

Cheers SJ

Also Bum, I think there was a thread by Fourstar (or maybe just posts with pics) where he experimented putting hops through his espresso machine. He then used the resulting liquid to hop a fairly basic pale beer in the glass. He added small amounts of the liquid via syringe to the beer and noted the effects.

CHeers SJ

Thanks, SJ. Yes, I remember reading that thread with interest but I think I remember it being some electrical device in that instance and since I don't know how either works I don't know how similarly they may work - if that makes any sense. It's just that SWMBO has (but doesn't use) one of those stovetop jiggers and I was wondering if it might be worth appropriating it for the brewery. You're right though, the contact time certainly sounds like it would be an issue.

Thanks again.

No worries Bum, stove top espresso and and domestic espresso coffee machine both work the same way. They use pressure to push hot water through the coffee grounds. Espresso machine does it effectively instantly via the internal boiler and pump. Stovetop jigger heats the water, creating steam which pushed the water up the spout and forces it through the coffee grounds.

As far as making the coffee part, the two work basically the same. Coffee machine then uses the steam from the boiler to froth the milk.

Cheers SJ

I have used one of those stovetop thingos for hops, to try and add a bit more aroma to a beer. It seemed to work out pretty well, although I never got around to doing a side by side with the control bottles (extra hops were added to the keg only).

Even managed to clean it up enough that SWMBO is still happy using it (I don't do coffee).

Cheers, gents. If I have brew that comes up short in aroma I'll give it a crack.

Perhaps I'll even chuck a tonne in with some coffe and see it it gets me over the line. (Did you see how I tried to be on topic there?)

Back