Hope brewing super sour series

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wernstrom

Reaction score
Anyone else tried these? The blueberry tart, pine Lime sunny boy 2.0 and tropical super are amongst the best things I've ever tasted.

I'm keen to have a crack at replicating something similar, but not much out there recipe-wise when it comes to 9%+ warhead tier sourness. How do you think I should approach creating a recipe? Only experience with sours is using the philly yeast, but I dare say this kind of recipe would require significant kettle souring. How does high gravity wort play with kettle sours?

And I've never used fruit extracts before, I assume these would probably go in secondary?

Have tasted a couple of their sour beer.
Personally I didn’t rate them, tasted like a base pale ale, fruit flavouring and a bunch of Lactic acid poured in from a drum.
Give me the Belgian sours any time.
Mark

Apologies I can't offer the same helpful advice as above but I'll try, I've had a few of their imperial sours and whilst not my cup of tea, my wife loves them.

I would think mostly pale malt, probably some wheat, and likely some glucose to get to the imperial level... maybe some lactose?

Kettle souring with Sour pitch (I think it's Lallemands from memory) is pretty easy, importantly do you have access to a reliably calibrated pH meter and lactic to adjust?

Just make sure to pitch enough yeast, and aeration/oxygenation for imperial levels and you'll be sweet.

Frozen fruit/ puree/ flavouring added into keg is the way to go to retain the flavour you're after.

Keep us posted!

Like Mark said, they use pure lactic acid to get the acidity so strong (I've been inside the brewery and watched it happen)
I believe they use a fruit extract/flavouring added to secondary
I'm really not a fan personally (of these beers or them as a brand...), I find them super one dimensional and just all about the shock factor

Latest posts

Back