Hop Tea Bag In Primary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st.sloth

Reaction score
Hey fellas, just getting into it.

Got a Coopers Real Ale, Brew Enhancer 2 & Safale going. Now the local HBS only had Tea Bags in the way of hops. Steeped 12G Cascade in boiling water then threw all (bag included) in.

Now, is this 'dry hoppping', or do you only this term in secondary.. ? My concern here is that i've read you shouldn't dry hop for longer then 4/5 days, otherwise the hops start emitting vegie flavours...
It's been in primary for 9 days now. About to rack to secondary. Should've i pulled the bag out 4 days ago? Or no biggie, and remove on the way to secondary?

It tastes fine so far....

I wouldn't worry. Dry hopping is adding dry hops (ie not steeped or soaked or boiled) to the fermenter. If it tastes fine then it's probably fine.

There's a school of thought that sez a dry-hopping added at the beginning of primary fermentation (ie pitching day) will have some of your hop aroma stripped during the process of fermentation. Adding it a few days after the initial yeast activity is something you may want to try next time and see if you can notice the difference.

'Vegie flavours' might be a result of the type of hop used, and where in the process that type of hop is used. If you have a commercially-packaged tea bag, that's only 10-15 grams, right? Personally, I think you have nothing to be concerned about. I don't know how long that bag is going to keep imparting more character after a week.

It (a dry hopped tea-bag) adds nothing to the bitterness, by the way (and apologies in saying so if you already know this).

All the best, and try to find another shop - one that sells larger quantities of hop pellets - for your next one !

Cheers :icon_cheers:

cheers fellas. racked to secondary tonight. taste tested:

overly strong hoppy kick present, leaving an almost unpleasant flavour lingering on the tongue. taste test 2 days earlier was fine. amazed there was such a difference in 2 days. the missus said it was like drinking tea!

will be taste testing daily from now on.

It may well scream HOP at you at the moment, but over time - maybe even two weeks - in the bottle will see a mellowing and combining of malt and bitter and aromas... keep making notes!!!
:icon_cheers:

yeah, when I lost my cascade flavour over a month in the keg I was disappointed

A few months ago after reading a few threads where others had asked questions about adding hops to kits I decided to do a similar thing with hop teabag (15g Hallertau) in a coopers mexican and like you then read about the 4-5 day limit. However I had used a SAF23 lager yeast and it had been 10days at around 14Deg when I read this.

To really make a meal of it I managed to break the tea bag while steeping (dont ask) and by the first taste test around day day 5 it was providing a really grassy aroma. Bottled at 21 with tea bag still in there (along with lots of little flaoty green bits)days and it smelt to me like grass clipping tea.

Good news is after a month, although I thought it was still a little vegetarian, a mate said he thought it was banana flavoured(possibly effect of the lager yeast ). Now after two months there is absolutely no odd smells or flavours and some extremely critical non brewing mates have rated it well.

So don't panic about vegetable flavours, especially with the real ale.

I reckon Paitience, Cleanliness and Dedication to learning is all you need.

And Godliness. You can never ignore the Supreme Creator if you wish to make a nice beer.

Back