• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Hop Swap / Giveaway

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine the other week! Thank you very much :) Going to be planting a few hop varieties on the roof of my shop in the middle of the cbd. haha. Will see how they go!

sprout.JPGI thought I'd check the rhizomes out just before and found they absorbed loads of moisture from the fridge.

Repacked them and found they all had fairly long sprouts. I thought you'd like to see this sucker punched a hole through the gladwrap. Hope it is a good sign of things to come:

Two small shoots poking through the soil in recent days - and they're off!

Only been in the ground about two weeks - seem pretty happy so far - just gotta keep my kids away from them now!

Thanks again Wakkatoo!

Any other recent success stories?

Kev

Two small shoots poking through the soil in recent days - and they're off!

Only been in the ground about two weeks - seem pretty happy so far - just gotta keep my kids away from them now!

Thanks again Wakkatoo!

Any other recent success stories?

Kev

I can only imagine what a hop rhizome that has been plugging away on the icy Tundra that is Ballarat does when it hits the mild Qld warmth. If only they could speak!

I can only imagine what a hop rhizome that has been plugging away on the icy Tundra that is Ballarat does when it hits the mild Qld warmth. If only they could speak!

Ease up Muscovy we had a couple of mornings under 12 this year. Nearly had to put a jumper on to go to work :lol:

27 this Friday spring has come late.................

It's gotta be happy :p

Ease up Muscovy we had a couple of mornings under 12 this year. Nearly had to put a jumper on to go to work :lol:

27 this Friday spring has come late.................

27....Whatever!
I am just hitting my Melbourne winter saturation threshold.

My rhizomes are starting to poke their noses out...a sign of spring...finally.

27....Whatever!
I am just hitting my Melbourne winter saturation threshold.

My rhizomes are starting to poke their noses out...a sign of spring...finally.

When I said mornings under 12.................that lasted from about 5 to 7............soon kicked up to a balmy 24 to 25 most days :icon_cheers:

My golding and cascade went into two separate 'nursery' terracotta planters yesterday.I want to get them going whilst the manure breaks down a bit more in the big, raised garden beds. I'll transfer them in a week or two.They each have 3 or 4 decent shoots, which were trying to bust out of the packet in the fridge.I'm not expecting more than a few cones this year, but I do want 2 nice, big rooty bundles for next year!I'll pass on the cut offs just as Wakatoo did :D

My golding and cascade went into two separate 'nursery' terracotta planters yesterday.I want to get them going whilst the manure breaks down a bit more in the big, raised garden beds. I'll transfer them in a week or two.They each have 3 or 4 decent shoots, which were trying to bust out of the packet in the fridge.I'm not expecting more than a few cones this year, but I do want 2 nice, big rooty bundles for next year!I'll pass on the cut offs just as Wakatoo did :D

Paying it forward. Theres a movie about this and its a common life style philosphy. A great attitude!

The damn chickens got over a 1.3m fence and dug up all 8 pots. WTF!!
First thing in morning they are getting covered in chicken wire. WHY!!!!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!!

The damn chickens got over a 1.3m fence and dug up all 8 pots. WTF!!
First thing in morning they are getting covered in chicken wire. WHY!!!!!!!!!???????!!!!!!!!

1 x axe = fewer chicken problems.

Less work too I would guess.

Paying it forward. Theres a movie about this and its a common life style philosphy. A great attitude!

If only half of Wakatoo's hop recipients did a similar swap/give away, and then half of those....etc...there would be a serious number of varieties kicking around for guys wanting to start/expand their beer gardens.

If only half of Wakatoo's hop recipients did a similar swap/give away, and then half of those....etc...there would be a serious number of varieties kicking around for guys wanting to start/expand their beer gardens.

Careful Danwood, thats sounding very much like a pyramid scheme.....
you will be king hop growing you just need to give away 10 zomes and them people give away 10 zomes...oh shit its the fuzz....

mine are in a big pot waiting for the frosts to finish, 11 days in soil, no signs of life yet, too much water getting on them...******* rain....hope they pop up soon.

That's the idea. My original 6 zomes came from kleiny, notung and (my sincere apologies) another ahb member down mornington way IIRC. they were all given to me so I figured I'll do the same when the opportunity arises. I'll do it again in a couple of years, and again after that etc. I must say thank you to those who were able to add to my hop collection. Now have 9 varieties with space for about 4 more. There was a member who happened to post a bottle of their own wine, I look forward to drinking that with the old man (who makes his own) soon.

My real location is Majorca. I'd come back to Australia, but this damn respiratory illness.... :ph34r:

you will be king hop growing you just need to give away 10 zomes and them people give away 10 zomes...oh shit its the fuzz....

mine are in a big pot waiting for the frosts to finish, 11 days in soil, no signs of life yet, too much water getting on them...******* rain....hope they pop up soon.

I am concerned about a visit from the cops...mostly when my nosey, elderly neighbours peer over the fence in a few weeks and see those distinctively shaped leaves :eek:
I don't want them raiding me for a suspected dope farm....that would be an inconvenience for the meth lab in my basement <_< :ph34r:

Back