Hop Seeds Or Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morepork

Reaction score
Good evening all,

Just wondering if anyone can fill me in on where to purchase Hop seeds, or Rhizomes from? I have been looking for a while but most trails either dry up, or are quite a few years old.

Is there anywhere or anyone that someone could recommend? It would be really appreciated if anyone could help me out here.

Cheers,

You want to purchase rhizomes as they're genetically identical to the parent plant, and are female. If you use seeds you can end up with male plants which are useless.

Theres sellers on ebay, or you'll find alot of them popping up here later in the year when they're ready to pull out of the ground.

rhizome harvesting is only a few months away I think?

Thanks Felton,

Do you also know if the Rhizomes are restricted by quarantine (i.e. - Can i order them from overseas)? or will they get stopped at customs?

seeds will take far longer to grow to the point of giving you flowers also

quarantine wise - almost 100% sure you cant, there is issues with fresh hop flowers so the rhizomes would be a no no. ( pellets are ok however)

Mate, wait until about July-August and this place will be swamped with rhizome offers. If not, Rupert at Hopswest (ebay) offers awesome service (no affiliation).

Cheers, John.
edit spelling

Rhizomes will be available after winter.
Hop plants generally start producing them during winter*.

Check out the growing hops thread in the articles section.

(*At least my research has told me)

Hop plants from seed can be male or female, the males are pretty useless. In hop growing areas it is illegal to grow male plants because the pollen fertilises the females and you get seeds in the hops. It is legal to import the seeds (I think) but not the rhizomes. You can get seeds at http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/list.php?ty...p;value=humulus

Jamie,
I got some Rhizomes from HopsWest in about August last year, and harvested at end of December. Ended up with 246 dried grams of very healthy cascade hop flowers, with heaps of lupulin between the petals. This year will be even better.

As mentioned previously, Rhizomes will produce faster, and are guaranteed to be female, and dont risk growing male flowers. No reason in my opinion why you would want to grow seeeds.

No affiliation either, but Rupert at HopsWest is great to deal with, and packs his hops well etc.

Cheers...

Latest posts

Back