Hop Pellets & Flowers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba Q

Reaction score
Just a quick query

I have a bag of B Saaz flowers that I want to use in a recipe that calls for B Saaz pellets. As I have never used flowers would I need to adjust the amounts of flowers up or down or would I use the same amount?

Whole hops will give 10% less bitterness so you'd want to up the quantities for bittering additions. But for flavour/aroma additions I wouldn't make any changes. I've got an all Motueka (new name for B-Saaz) Blonde in the keg line up now. I've really liked it in a mix before and looking forward to seeing what it's like by itself. What are you brewing?

You'd need to use more (around 10% from memory) as pellets have a greater utilisation

really? why is that stu? is it because the pellet is pellatised and all the alpha and beta is extracted better, where as a flower still remains who so you dont extract as much during the boil?

It's because the pelletised hops are ground up which tears up the lupulin glands, allowing for better utilisation. I think.

Whole hops will give 10% less bitterness so you'd want to up the quantities for bittering additions. But for flavour/aroma additions I wouldn't make any changes. I've got an all Motueka (new name for B-Saaz) Blonde in the keg line up now. I've really liked it in a mix before and looking forward to seeing what it's like by itself. What are you brewing?
Tony's LCBA AG

Back