Hop filter or hop bags for plate chiller?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've decided to go the path of a plate chiller and would like to minimise the chance of a blockage. I understand the importance of getting a good cone etc but would still like some extra insurance. What's the best option hop bags or a filter? Can anyone recommend a good cheap filter option for my kettle? (I like the beer belly one but it's a bit pricey for me - I use hop pellets if that makes a difference)

Cheers

Zarniwoop

Hi Zarniwoop

Like a lot of people, I have had a blockage in my plate chiller so know the importance of keeping the hop material out of the chiller. Its a bitch to clean out when i happens, not to mention having to pull the system apart mid brew really mucks up the brew day.

I use hop pellets mostly and use a combination of two things, I use a large hop bag that hangs from the side of the boiling pot, and also have a stainless steel pot scrubber wrapped around and bunched up on the outlet pipe.

Since I have been doing this I have never had a blockage.

Good Luck

I've found the best filter yet is using the Blichmann Hop Rocket utilising the hop flowers as a filter works a treat. It cut down the trub from about 4L down to 2L.

diydave said:
Hi Zarniwoop

Like a lot of people, I have had a blockage in my plate chiller so know the importance of keeping the hop material out of the chiller. Its a bitch to clean out when i happens, not to mention having to pull the system apart mid brew really mucks up the brew day.

I use hop pellets mostly and use a combination of two things, I use a large hop bag that hangs from the side of the boiling pot, and also have a stainless steel pot scrubber wrapped around and bunched up on the outlet pipe.

Since I have been doing this I have never had a blockage.

Good Luck
I haven't used a hop bag/sock before do you just hang it from the side and throw in the additions to the bag?

I've got the 6" version of the Craftbrewer one linked above. It blocks up quick and it's giving me the shits. I tried using a hop bag but I feel like the hops need to dance around the kettle instead of just staying in a clump at the bottom of the bag.
I
When I finally get around to tracking down some stainless mesh, I'm gonna make a large basket that I can yank out after the boil.

I have always used the large hop sack from Craft Brewer, so cannot comment on how it affects the release of bitterness/flavor/aroma from the pellets, sure some out there has probably done both and can comment

The Village Idiot said:
Is there any loss/disadvantage in using a hop sack/bag v loose pellets??
Not that I've ever noticed.

Latest posts

Back