'hop Drops' To Add To Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calling them Hops Drops gave m the impression they would have been hop extracts or something more just raspberry and chocolate essences.

Ive tried steeping hops in a Tea infuser in my Mrs' Low Carb but the results is still shitty low carb with a minimal change.

Lol, did anyone else see this at all?

'Hop Drops' designed to make cheap beer taste better

I've talk about this when at the pub drinking rubbish. I usually mention a 'malt drop' to put into the swill. Who knows, there may be hope yet! :beerbang:

(PS Sorry if someone posted this already)

Calling them Hops Drops gave m the impression they would have been hop extracts or something more just raspberry and chocolate essences.

Fair call there.

Though with things like Tetra Hop around, anythings possible.

Reading the article it doesn't seem like a bad idea.
A good way to get rid of all those low carb/low alc beers that get left behind after a party.
Good luck to her.

good idea, crap name.... I've used hop teas to get some "thin" beers tasting better.. probably works out cheaper to.

Yeh, I had assumed that hop drops added hop flavour to your beer.

On the otherhand, perhaps we can come up with a recipe for actual hop drops? Something like hops boiled in beer, strained, reduced down to hard ball stage and poured into a lined baking tin? Could be something like belgian candy sugar that you add a little to your beer for some hops and malt flavour

I had this idea a while back but have never done it.

Was thinking about steeping small amount of crystal, boiling with us hops, and putting in a small test tube.

I reckon that could turn a Aussie lager into a APA. Maybe.

Especially useful in Brissy suburbs and regional areas.

I was just going to do it for a laugh.

Anyone try these for making bad beer taste better? Liquid Hops

Characteristics:
Unlike pure hop oil, Liquid Hops are 100% soluble in solutions (like beer or other beverages). Liquid Hops offer an alternative means of adding hop aroma & flavour independent of any other product or process & of annual crop variations. Liquid Hops can compliment traditional means of adding hop aroma by kettle addition. Our generic Liquid Hops will give specific beer flavour attributes such as citrussy, floral, herbal or spicy characteristics & enhance pleasant existing flavours in the beer/soft drink. Furthermore, off-flavours can be easily masked. Liquid Hops can give a very pleasant late hop character to your beer.

Anyone try these for making bad beer taste better? http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=13

We did a product testing with them when Craftbrewer was first getting them in, a while back now.
If you do buy some don't put a big drop right on your finger to taste as one person did... He couldn't taste anything except Cascade for ages :)

We put a series of them into Budweiser I think it was from memory, going for the lightest tasting least flavour beer we could.
They definitely had a positive impact on the beer.
I would have paid money for the EKG Bud in a pub :)

I did consider buying some for just that reason, but then I realised I don't go to places where I need to doctor the beer often enough to bother with it.

They would also work well as aroma or flavour additions, I just prefer to work nice fresh hops myself.
For kit and extract brewers they could be great, way better than any of those hop tablets or teabags.

I've used similar drops from Germany for both bittering and aroma post ferment in a completely unhopped beer and thrown it into last year's case swap and QABC.

It didn't fare to bad at all. Couldn't be bothered carrying a bottle with be though when going to friends etc, and I can't say I would favour these over less concentrated hops like pellets and flowers, but that's only from the one beer I tried myself.

Not a bad idea. Imagine if you could say add some flavouring to turn a bog standard aussie lager into more of an amber ale with late hop character? Shouldn't be that hard? Just need some liquid crystal and liquid hop extract or something like that?

I would do that for sure, I'm always at pubs with shit beer. Would love to be able to buy a schooner, have one sip, then pour in 10ml of extract or whatever and be drinking something better.

Back