Hop Cones Have Gone Red!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizard78

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm hoping someone may be able to help me. I have a chinook hop bine growing and the cones have turned reddish in colour, can anyone diagnose the problem, has this happend to anyone before?
Sorry pics aren't great.

iphone_003.JPG

iphone_002.JPG

It could be pottassium deficiency. Manutec make a product called 'Bloom booster', maybe add some of that. If it has been really cold then the potassium can actually crystallise, making it not available to the plant. If the purple has come after the cold then adding extra K won't really do anything.

Also, do you know what the pH of your soil is?

BTW I don't have much experience growing hops, but i used to work in a nursery. So i could be way off track.

I'm not sure on pH, and the temp has been dropping to low to mid teens overnight.
It's a bit odd 'cause I have a POR and 2 mt hoods as well and they seem fine apart from some browning on ends(the cones haven't matured yet though).
I hope it hasn't rendered the cones unusable :(

They Look really cool! Maybe you have invented a new hop!?
"Aussie RedSky hops" ;)

Nice raspberries.
Did a search but couldnt find anything maybe when the hop books i ordered arrive they may say something about it.

more than likely a mineral deficiency.unless you use borewater that is heavy in iron content?
no horticulturist just a keen gardener.

Red Hop

This one was developed by Rupert at Hopswest...
Where did you get your rhizomes from, mate?

Go to page 21.

Cheers, John.

Thanks John, I also found this and sent Rupert a pm asking him about it. I got my rhizome from fellow AHB'er Wolfy.

Thanks John, I also found this and sent Rupert a pm asking him about it. I got my rhizome from fellow AHB'er Wolfy.

This is quite fascinating a red Chinook! I have bred two hops that had initially red cones, only one of which had a good aroma. It is red as an immature cone but the red fades right out when full size, see pictures.
Immature Cone:
redhopburrclose.jpg

Mature size 'red' cones with smaller reds circled:
redconesfading.jpg

Ask 'Wolfy' if his Chinook grew red cones.

When I first saw the red cones I thought it might be some nutrient deficiency ...possibly potassium, but I transplant a chunk of the rhizome to another place with good soil and lots of cow manure and it still grew red.

I can't see it effecting the brew quality.

Regards,

Rupert.

Thanks Rupert,
my first thought also was that there was some sort of deficiency, but none of the other bines had the same colours, so then I was worried it was a disease or something. Seeing yours gives me some hope :D , I'll just wait it out and see how the mature.
Cheers :beer:

From memory, these are the mature Chinook cones I harvested last year:
hops1b.jpg

some of the outer leaves are red-tinged still (at the time I just put it down to sunburn/dryness) so it will be interesting to see how yours go as they get bigger.
It may be that like Rupert's pictures they will start red when small and turn green when they grow.

Same thing here in Frankston.
The second picture is also a chinook in it's second year which are planted side by side and I thought possibly that I was miss informed about its variety.
Phil

P2100589.jpg
P2100590.jpg

Gee, it's almost an epidemic :lol:
Where did you get yours from mialee?

Back