Hop Bitterness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiggins

Reaction score
Has anyone got a list of hop IBU's ranging from mildly bitter through to very bitter.I've got access to a hop weight calculator,but wouldnt have a clue as to how bitter a certain amount of IBU's is eg. how bitter is 30 IBU's?This would be for a 23 litre brew.Thanks,Wiggins.

Here's a list of hop characteristics from homebrewandbeer. View attachment hops.html

I'm really not sure, but I think I've read that VB etc are around the 20IBU mark. But the IBU scale doesn't exactly correspond with taste, as a strong, dark beer will not taste as bitter as a lighter beer with the same IBUs. There are lots of working out the IBUs as well.

After making some beers, you should be able to work out what level is right for your tongue. :p

wiggins said:
Has anyone got a list of hop IBU's ranging from mildly bitter through to very bitter.I've got access to a hop weight calculator,but wouldnt have a clue as to how bitter a certain amount of IBU's is eg. how bitter is 30 IBU's?This would be for a 23 litre brew.Thanks,Wiggins.
[post="105070"][/post]​
Hops aren't described in terms of IBUs, which is concentration, but in AA%, check out a hops FAQ like http://realbeer.com/spencer/hops-faq.3.html.

The perception of IBU's will vary according to the beer, eg the gravity. You should get yourself a book like Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels.

IBU's of many beers are graphically illustrated here:

http://brewiki.org/BeerColour

Ye,thanks for that info stuster,it'll come in very handy when i do my first extract brew next week.I can run this through the calculator to get the weight of hops i need. :party:

Great info sosman. It makes it much easier to compare different styles with that graphic. A picture's worth a thousand words eh. :D

Wiggins, you could try downloading promash or beersmith. Just google those words and you'll find the sites. Both have free demo versions and you could play with these to help work out the gravity, bitterness and colour of the brew you will make.

Have fun with your first extract brew. So much more satisfying than just dumping in some goo IMO.

:beer:

Wow, thats two pretty comprehensive documents.I will definitely copy these to my hard drive later this arvo.I'll have to get my brother to show me how ro copy these files as i'm still learning how to use a computer.Thanks mate.

Stuster,whatever you do,don't take this info off the site until tomorrow,as i will get my brother to show me how to copy the info. you have.Cheers, Wiggins. :beer:

Latest posts

Back