Hop Ball Into Keg After Youve Started Drinking?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt use a plug. I crammed in as much NS flowers as possible. Bonj, thanks for the tip about it breaking...will definately keep my eye on it. Hanging to have a glass now to see the difference its made over night.
Cheers
Steve

If it is rust Darren, it's definitely not iron oxide. I agree with Doogiechap... could very well be aluminium. The pin was quite thin, so if it is aluminium, it could very well be torque damage from opening it up after. The new one looks much sturdier.

Bonj,

You could possibly replace the busted pin with a new one made from a piece of silver solder rod & bent at both ends. Tony probably has some? Two hop balls are better than one. :)

:beer:

It's not the pin corroding, it's just popped out from too many hops being put in the ball. The expansion pressure being more than the little hinge can cope with. As Tidalpete said, you can replace the hinge with a little S/S wire, it's what I did after over filling my first one. I now just add 2 or 3 with less in - gives you better efficiency as well :)

cheers Ross

if you only put 1/2 a plug in, the beer can still flow through the ball and hops.
you can tell if you added too much when you empty the ball out later.

yes kids, remember to not over fill your balls. pellets and plugs expand when wet.

I would replace the pin, however it has been comandeered by swmbo for making tea. On close inspection with a loupe, it certainly looks like corrosion. I will try and get a macro shot to show you.

ok crappy handheld quick photos:

hopball_1.jpg

hopball_2.jpg

edit: explanation

Would have to agree there Bonj, the coating hadn't gone on my pin, it had just popped under the pressure.
A bit os S/S wire would seem the go. I'll take it up with the supplier, as it's definately a weak spot.

cheers Ross

Absolutely looks like corrosion to me Bonj.
Have never used my hop ball yet but on having a close look there is no pin involved. All there is is a slot in both halves with a rounded strip of stainless flat joining them together.

Not complaining in the least Ross :) but are the pinned hop balls a newer version?

Gotta have a go with mine soon & getting another one for the sake of efficiency.

Hey Pete,

the pin is the hinge for the little clamp thing that swings over and holds the two halves together. It sounds like the bit you describe is on the other end.

-Bonj

Hey Pete,

the pin is the hinge for the little clamp thing that swings over and holds the two halves together. It sounds like the bit you describe is on the other end.

-Bonj

Oh s**t!
redface-oops-6.gif
. That's the hinge for the locking bit on the front you have been describing.
Same thing applies though mate. Just use a little silver solder\brass\stainless rod for a new hinge pin.
My biggie.
wacko.gif

You should be ok, just keg hop it, squirt some co2 over the beer and then purge the oxygen a couple of times and you'll be fine.

Back