Homebrew Books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The radical brewing one look like it might be quite a good read though. Yeah, bugger about all the errata stuff though.

Keen to hear any feedback from members.

Cheers, JD

Doc said:
Pre-ordered mine on Amazon this afternoon B)

Beers,
Doc

Hi Doc,

Two questions:

What's the Radical Brewing book worth in Sydney?

What do Amazon charge for freight to Sydney?

Just weighing up my options.

Cheers,
Jase

Justin said:
The radical brewing one look like it might be quite a good read though.
Errata or not it is an excellent book, well written with heaps of interesting info

Hopefully I will be doing a Jaggery pale ale this weekend

Cheers

'Designing Great Beers' is worth checking out. It goes in heavy, gorey detail on several major styles, their origins, ingredients and style indiators.

Although it might get pooh-poohed by the purists, I got a great kick out of 'Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: Secrets of Ancient Fermentation'. It has an enormous lexicon of herbs used in brewing in different parts of the wold throughout history, and a great exposition on mead. A must for anyone considering expeimenting with unhopped ale styles such as Gruit (go ahead - call me a heretic, I enjoy it). Last year I did some experimenting with an ale infused with rosemary. It got mixed reviews at a party but the general consensus was that it would probably go very well with chicken. Unfortunately, it never cleared completely so obviously some adjusting will need to be done if I don't try it again. The author of the book is a herbal-medicine type, so for each herb or adjunct there is an exposition of medical or psychoactive properties of the given herb. It's one of the favorite books on the shelf at my house.

'Brew Chem 101' is a good, accessible exposition of the basic chemical reactions that yeast perform to do their job. It goes over the chemistry that contributes to various wanted and not-so wanted flavors and describes conditions under which they occur.

'Brew Ware' is another essential for people interested in designing their own equipment on the cheap.

Jase said:
Hi Doc,

Two questions:

What's the Radical Brewing book worth in Sydney?

What do Amazon charge for freight to Sydney?

Just weighing up my options.

Cheers,
Jase
Radical AU$36.?? (don't remember how many cents)
Amazon shipping for the Farmhouse book from memory was US$12

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Amazon shipping for the Farmhouse book from memory was US$12

Beers,
Doc
I got 2 books shipped over for about US $17. It took 10 days.

cheers

johnno said:
I got 2 books shipped over for about US $17. It took 10 days.
Just dug up the email.

I actually had two books ordered but cancelled the second at the last minute. Shipping went up to US$16 for both, but the cost of the other book made the total cost too much.

Shipping Method: Standard International Shipping
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $12.57
Shipping & Handling: $11.98
------
Total for this Order: $24.55

Shipping estimate for these items: November 26, 2004
Delivery estimate: December 13, 2004 - December 20, 2004
1 "Farmhouse Ales : Culture and Craftsmanship in the European Tradition"
Phil Markowski; Paperback; $12.57

ausdb said:
Justin said:
The radical brewing one look like it might be quite a good read though.
Errata or not it is an excellent book, well written with heaps of interesting info
Yeah, I'll second that - hope my previous post didn't give the wrong impression.

I received the Farmhouse Ales book last week.
I'm half way through reading it having read the Bier de Garde section and I'm really enjoying it.
It is an easy read that covers the history of the style and then moves on to commercial examples, then tasting them, then brewing them.
Really looking forward to the Saison section now (of which I brewed another one last weekend).
The only mistake I've noticed is one of the Saison recipes does not list the percentages of the malts for the grist. I managed to track down Phil Markowski to ask him the details and I got an email from him today.

I recommend the book so far, and if anyone else has bought it the recipe for the Saison - spiced version on page 182 the grist percentages are:

Pilsner Malt - 75%
Munich Malt - 15%
Wheat malt - 10%

Beers,
Doc

I picked up Radical Brewing yesterday and have had a flip through it and it looks like a wonderful book.
I'm new to homebrewing so there is a lot for me to learn from this book.

I also saw on Amazon this book Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers : The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation
which looked interesting.
They did have that at the bookstore for me to look at though.

Has anyone seen/read this book?

thanks,
Rich

I have that book and found it interesting, yet a friend who knows much more than me about that subject says that the book is a disappointment.

However, over these holidays I will try making beer from 2-3 maize plants (I have 2-3 plants that have no cobs) so I guess the book will be of some use if you like herbs and, errrr, radical beers.

Jovial Monk

Thanks JM
Not so interested in it from a recipe point of view at the moment (I'm just using kits at the moment and occassionally steep some grain with them) but more from a historical/social perspective.

Interesting stories/trivia about beer through the ages and societies etc.

Rich

The book just covers different herbs. If you like to read about different (and I mean different) beers and beer history and trivia "The Secret Life of Beer" will be the book you are after (sorry, haven't got it here ATM so can't tell you the author)

JM

Secret Life gets a bit of a panning on Amazon...

The herbal one sounds more interesting... but it's hard to tell of a the amazon reviews.

thanks,
Rich

I like both. . .

Also full of beer history, the Housebrewer books by Clive LaPensee, available from CAMRA

JM

RichLum said:
Thanks JM
Not so interested in it from a recipe point of view at the moment (I'm just using kits at the moment and occassionally steep some grain with them) but more from a historical/social perspective.

Interesting stories/trivia about beer through the ages and societies etc.

Rich
Few good reads then:

Man Walks Into A Pub - Pete Brown: Brilliant read, really funny social look at beer. Seriously, get this book. I've read it a few times on the tube now and it alway amuses and fascinates me at the same time.

Beer And Britannia - Peter Haydon: More serious look at pub culture through history and beer associated with it.

Beer, The Story Of The Pint - Martyn Cornell: Focuses more on this history of beer than of the social/pub side of it.

I'll pick up Secret Life sometime soon and see if its any good.

Latest posts

Back