Hlt Size And Herms Ellement Sizing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komodo

Reaction score
OK so I've got a 50L BeerBelly SS Mashtun which arrived today to match my 70L Beerbelly SS kettle so I'm now planning my next round of upgrades.

Im not sure if I should have a seperate HERMS vessel or if I should use my HLT for my HERMS coil.

I'm also not sure if I should go a 50L or a 70L SS HLT or even a 98L as I've read some suggest.

I have a 10amp and a 15 amp circuit in my brewery area and I had planned on fitting two elements to the HLT to make getting to temp faster and then have a change over switch so that one element was switched off when the HERMS was switched on (if I go a seperate HERMS vessel) Should I put the bigger element in the HERMS vessel ? or what size element would be suitable for a herms vessel

What is your typical batch size? Then work from there (imo).

I have a 10amp and a 15 amp circuit in my brewery area and I had planned on fitting two elements to the HLT to make getting to temp faster and then have a change over switch so that one element was switched off when the HERMS was switched on (if I go a seperate HERMS vessel) Should I put the bigger element in the HERMS vessel ? or what size element would be suitable for a herms vessel

Plenty of power there which is great. You really only need 1 element in the HLT as you can whack on a timer for the HLT so its up to temp when you get up in the morning or get home from work, etc. I run 1x 2400W element to heat my 50L HLT no worries.

With two elements how would you isolate both to the off position once HLT reaches target temp?

An immersion element is handy to give an extra temperature boost if need be, similar cost to a normal element and has multiple uses in the brewery.

I would be inclined to go 2400W in both HLT and HERMS pot. HERMS solution thread should have more info on the HERMS setup, etc.

(Also 50L HLT should be plenty with a 50L MT). Its what I use with my RIMS brewery.

SSR relays could easily isolate both once they hit target temps. Either that or use two temp controllers with one set at a slightly lower point than the other
I have an immersion element already. I often use it (I've been BIAB for the past 2 years) for heating water for mashing and for heating water for cleaning and using the italian spiral burner for the boil. I really love immersion elements I think they are very handy.
I think I need to do more reading on using the HLT for the HX vs a seperate vessel for HX in the HERMS thread to amke a decision as to which is better solution for me.

In regards to the HLT size, I do 43L batches on a 50HLT - 50MT - 80KT and i have to top-up the HLT after doughing in to have enough water on hand to batch sparge. It can be done easily enough with a 50HLT but for convenience sake to eliminate the top up i'd prefer a 70L at least.

Good point Argon. I certainly top my HLT up during the mashing period.

For me:
Pump and RIMS on one circuit.
HLT on the other.

@Komodo - I reckon with a separate vessel for the HERMS (in lieu of using your HLT) you have more flexibility (for running a second batch in straight after for example) AND a MUCH smaller water volume to heat to get your temp steps happening. (Wiring 1 SSR was enough for me, 2 would totally confuse me! Good luck with it though).

Komodo, +1 for what raven says. If I had my time over I would use a separate HX. On your HLT I would look at 70lts. If you do double batches you will need approx 60 lts of water

Yeah I think seperate HX is the way to go. I've contacted NYBrewSupply to see how much a 3/8" x 25' stainless immersion coil will cost to get delivered to AU then I'll make my next decision as to which way to go. Part of me wants 'all stainless' then part of me wants to go with the copper.

I was sort of thinking having the 10 amp circuit with all my controllers and pumps and a 2000watt element then have a 3600 watt element in the HERMS HX and a 3600watt element in the HLT which is only used to ramp up the HLT then turned off when the HERMS is turned on on the 15 amp circuit. Now I'm starting to wonder if im getting a bit tim the tool man taylor with the size of the element im using in the HERMS.

I did want to avoid adding water to the HLT (where I brew is on a mezzanine floor at work with no water so I have to run a hose and have someone down stairs turn it on and off - I fill a few cubes up at the same time for cleaning) so I think a 70L HLT is definately on the cards if not a 98L

Yeah thats what I would do - dont want to go overloading the circuit and tripping the breaker its a fricken long way to the fuse box LOL

I'm just wondering now if I'd be better to go with a 2400watt element in the HX and a 3000watt element and 2400watt secondary element in the HLT and use the 15 amp circuit with the 3000watt element for the controllers and pumps.

Latest posts

Back