Hlt Sight Glass.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:beer:
Hi Guys
I have posted before on this subject Cadmiun free silver solder can be identified by white tips on the rods. 602 flux is suitable for this purpose.
Cheers Altstart

This is an even easier option the tee normally has the tel thru sitting in the end or you could have another nipple and valve on the end

Picture_003b.jpg

Cost

1/2 a socket cut in half and used as 2 nuts 1.70
2 washers 1.00
2 fiber washers 0.30
1 nipple 3.20
1 tee 3.70
1 TS LOK Male connector 15.70
500mm 12mm poly carb tube 6.00

Total $31.60

Maybe not the cheapest method but has to be the easiest

sintax69 said:
[post="80936"][/post]​

Whereabouts in syd did u find this sintax69 ?

How does the poly carb tube handle the boiling water/wort ?

thanks

Redbeard

Found this place out at ingelburn T&S Valves. Washers got from the hardware down the road from T&S(left out of there driveway) can't remember the name of that place just ask them they were happy to help

http://www.tsvalves.com.au/

I did try prochem at villawood but they are now $100 min cash sale

redbeard said:
sintax69 said:
[post="80936"][/post]​
How does the poly carb tube handle the boiling water/wort ?
[post="80982"][/post]​
Polycarbonate tubing handles boiling water easily. I have been using it on my HLT for ages. On my kettle I have PFE tubing that I happened to score for nothing.

http://brewiki.org/BrewPot

sintax69:
Found this place out at ingelburn T&S Valves.

I sent a couple of emails to them, with no reply and rang once, at the wrong time - lunch, so gave up on them. ingelburn is a bit of drive without knowing what they had.

I did try prochem at villawood but they are now $100 min cash sale

might explain why they were not that helpful when i did drive out there :( [small order]

sosman
Polycarbonate tubing handles boiling water easily.

yeah, my brain before was thinking of bunnings clear vinyl tubing for some unknown reason. I found a place out west that sells Polycarbonate tubing but the minimum was 3m for about $60+ ... also trying to match up the inside diamter of the polyc tubing with something else wasnt too fruitful.

sintax69 - is the 12mm the inside or outside diameter ? what size is the TS LOK ?

thanks

Correct me if I am wrong but...

From the research I did all polycarbonate tube in Australia is imported and only available in imperial sizes. This may explain why you had to sand it down a little becasue it was actually closer to 12.5 being 1/2 inch. It's also available in 9.5 or 3/8. I looked deeply into this as I use a push in fitting on the HLT.
Acrylic tube is available in metric sizes and does work as acrylic is a food grade plastic, the only problem is the increased care in handling as it is much more brittle, particlarly once the surface is scratched. It's generally slightly heavier wall section than polycarb too but machining it is not a nice thing.

Just my 2c

Borret

sintax69 said:
Polyc tube I got from BM Plastics Yennora $20 3m 12mm OD I think just took the TS LOK with me had to sand just a touch off it

TS LOK is 1/2 BSP

http://www.bmplastics.com.au/products.html

What area are you in I found some places South as well
[post="81057"][/post]​

Im pretty sure bmplastics was the last place i checked out. If he had said $20, im sure i would have bought it. I live near redfern/newtown.

Borret said:

From the research I did all polycarbonate tube in Australia is imported and only available in imperial sizes. This may explain why you had to sand it down a little becasue it was actually closer to 12.5 being 1/2 inch. It's also available in 9.5 or 3/8. I looked deeply into this as I use a push in fitting on the HLT.
Acrylic tube is available in metric sizes and does work as acrylic is a food grade plastic, the only problem is the increased care in handling as it is much more brittle, particlarly once the surface is scratched. It's generally slightly heavier wall section than polycarb too but machining it is not a nice thing.
[post="81064"][/post]​
Borret - yes I have generally only found imperial polycarb on the shelves but I seem to recall some local manufacturers make metric sizes.

I have never used acrylic in high temperature applications, I would have though it would seriously soften at boiling temperatures. IIRC polycarb is good to 135C.

I am thinking about how to make sight gauges for my all grain system I am slowly (due to SWMBO restrictions). I was thinking could you get some 1/2" polycarb tube and get a thread cut, hence a little bit of plumbers tape and screw it straight into a 1/2" stainless socket so so easy...

Would this work? I know the tubing would need good wall thickness, but how difficult would it be to get the thread cut?

If it is not too hard I am thinking bulk buy and get a number of sight gauge tubes cut and threaded.

sosman said:
Borret said:

[post="81064"][/post]​
Borret - yes I have generally only found imperial polycarb on the shelves but I seem to recall some local manufacturers make metric sizes.

I have never used acrylic in high temperature applications, I would have though it would seriously soften at boiling temperatures. IIRC polycarb is good to 135C.
[post="81096"][/post]​

Yep you may be right with the acrylic and boiling but I haven't had any trouble..... yet. It's forming temp is still well over 100deg (140-160) but it will obvioulsly distirt below this. I figure your sight glas never actually boils anyway and I have had it to about 95deg without any issues. If I have have troubles down the track I will let you know but it's good for now.

Cheers

Borret

Could always use some silicon tubing. Nothing much will affect it. I think Grain & Grape sell it...but i am not sure...

Latest posts

Back