high og!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc e

Reaction score
Hi guys, decided to do a keg filler two days ago. Recipe as follows

1.7 kg coopers pale ale
1.5 kg Morgans extra pale lme
0.5 kg dex
0.5 kg DME

Filled fermenter to 23l. Used safbrew us05 Yeast. And pitched at about 23 degree c.

The og I measured before pitching the yeast was 1100 which I thought was quite high! Should I be worried?

In addition, I don't beleive fermentation has kicked off. Measured the gravity today and its still 1100. No Krausen on top of the wort after chilling at 18c for two and a half days.

Admittedly the yeast was 6 months out of date, but took a gamble on it. Just dumped it on the wort, no rehydration.

Any advice guys?

IanH' spreadsheet says 1059.
Perahos the fermentables were not dissolved enough and had settled at the bottom giving a higher reading from the tap than expected - if that is where the sample was drwan from.
Pitch more yeast if there is nothing happening

I actually used his spreadsheet to derive this recipe. Thus thought all would be good.

Gave the wort a stir up this arvo. If this doesn't rouse the yeast, will adding more cause any adverse effects?

BTW the sample was drawn from the tap

1100 is off by quite a lot - did you notice many floaties or particles when you sampled? I'm sure its recommended to run off half a cup of wort first before sampling though I usually don't bother...

What yeast were you using? If the OG was above 1055 anyway, it may have needed some good strong yeast or two packets in the first place.

That said, I have a Bry 97 Pale Ale 8 days in and that had no noticeable krausen, activity or bubbling for the first 2.5 days. kicked off and most of the work was done in the next 48 hours. Pretty sure it was the same last time I used it too.

I second pitching in more yeast if there is nothing after 3 days - might want to take another hydro sample at that point too.

marc e said:
Admittedly the yeast was 6 months out of date, but took a gamble on it. Just dumped it on the wort, no rehydration.

Any advice guys?
if the yeast was 6 months out of date it's not going to really help your cause in any way, perhaps with yeast that old you should have re-hydrated the yeast to see if it was any good first..... I'd think more yeast would be the way to go.

Thanks for the help everyone. No floaties, and i didn't run off a cup of wort before taking the OG readings. The yeast was safbrew US05. I never make a habit of pitching out of date yeast but was desperate, and have used a packet 12 months out of date in the past without a drama. Lesson learnt.

I've just received some fresh US05, if there is still no action this arvo i'll put another packet it.

Hey guys, just an update on this one to close off the thread. After rousing that yeast in the afternoon fermentation finally kicked off but was very slow. Took about 2 weeks for this to ferment out to 1018. I was going to wait a little longer to see if it would ferment out further, but decided to keg it instead.

Beer itself is fine, no off flavours, actually fairly bland tasting beer. Maybe good for friends of mine but prefer mine with a lot more flavour!

cheers

Back