Hi there, from Sunbury Victoria

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weinerdog

Reaction score
My husband and I just started brewing, needless to say our first batch bottled I don't think it's going to be much good but I will keep ya posted on that one. Now in the process of brewing a Bacchus & Barley Pilsener with a little help from the guy at the local brew shop :) I'm interested in making a hard lemonade, I'm from Canada and really enjoyed an ice cold Mikes hard lemonade, but I think more practice is in store before we can tackle anything more than beer. Although I'm sure Mr Weinerdog would love to learn to brew bourbon :kooi:

Hi!

I'm in Sunbury, let me know if you need any hints/tips. If your local homebrew shop is the one on Vineyard Road, well, you'll be ok if you use cans to brew. I tend to use him only if im caught-short on a brew day (for dried yeast, etc).

Welcome to the hobby....you've an exciting journey ahead! :)

Hi,

Another Sunburian here.

I totally agree with Cosmic Bertie. I get my dried yeast from him, as well as stuff for Sodastream for the kids.

Good luck with the hard lemonade.

Thanks for your replies, although we're newbies we look forward to learning what we can about brewing. Hubby wanted me to ask regarding the cloudiness of the beer, will we need to use a fining agent or should it be more clear when all is finished? The beer does have malt booster in it. Kind Regards :beer:

It will generally clear with time in the bottle or can be reduced if you have the ability to cold condition (dropping the temp of the batch to0-1'c for 4-7 days prior to bottling,) it makes for a much clearer beer without having to use finnings

Ive found that the beers I made from cans (only 2) cleared by themselves after about a week. As Yob says, if you can keep them somewhere cold, they'll clear faster. Time to hunt down an old fridge :)

You can add finings once the beer has reached its expected final gravity, gelatine is good and cheap too. Mix one teaspoon in 100ml of boiled water and mix it in to the fermenter.

Let us know how the first brew turns out!

Back